Sign in to follow this  
[zerophase]

iphone without data

hello out there. currently, i'm a t-mobile user due to its low prices. i want to switch to the iphone due to its nice specs but being a senior in high school without a job (time issues), i'm not the richest person out there. i can afford an iphone device, but i cannot afford at&t data plans. i was wondering if there's a way to buy an iphone and not have a data plan. i have wifi in my house, where i am the majority of the time anyways, and besides text messaging, i don't really use data. i'm not really ready to pay 600 dollars on an unlocked iphone either.

http://www.ziphone.org/ is what i learned from cnet pertaining to unlocking iphones and i know theres an app called services: http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/10/04/turn...h-services-app/

because i don't really care about the data, the new 3g iphone is no real big deal to me. however, how do i get an iphone to do all of this to it? is it possible to unlock it before i activate it? anyone know if i can actually do what i plan on doing?

Edited by [zerophase]

No. If you want a cheap iPhone, you need to get it with a 2 year contract with the mandatory data.

You can easily unlock a 1st gen iPhone for free. Problem is finding one. Wait another week or three and you'll be able to get one second hand for a song. Then unlock and use on T-Mobile.

BTW, AT&T Wingular's plans can be less expensive than T-Mo. Example:

T-Mo 2500 minutes, unlimited data, 400 SMS = approx. $130

AT&T Wingular Unlimited minutes, unlimited data, unlimited SMS = $99

As for not having data, why get an iPhone to only use the partial feature set? There are less expensive options.

thanks but i have another question. with all these people getting new iphone 3g's and with their old iphones deactivated, is it possible for me to take the old iphone, and unlock it- hence use it on tmobile? or is it completely bricked?

Edited by [zerophase]

Depends if it's been updated to the 2.0 software or not. If it's still on 1.1.4 it can be unlocked.