Ron in KY

AT&T charges for any use of iPhone GPS

Hi guys,

I have never heard this anywhere until 3 of the reps at the AT&T I was visiting today in Lexington, KY advised me. Now they explained to me that all AT&T phones that have a GPS do not work unless you pay $9 something additional a month to activate is the word they used, the GPS, also for that you get turn by turn directions.

So I asked, You mean if I buy the iPhone and the the $70 plan I would not be able to use the GPS for the google maps, or any third party apps that take advantage of GPS, and that I wouldn't even be able to get a latitude Longitude unless the monthly fee is paid. They said yes. But they said they did not know if the price will be different for iPhone because it will not offer turn by turn directions like the other ones. But has a heads up its $9 for all existing GPS phones to access any functionality of the GPS in the device.

I thought having the GPS inside phones was always available, I can see paying for a service, but not for a feature of a phone to work. Can anyone confirm what they advised is really true. It will be $80 now for the basic plan if you want your iphone to have a functional GPS.

The prices just keeps going up...

Thanks,

Ron Malinowski

P.S. Also anyone following my adventure... AT&T will not prorate my termination fee cause that only started for people May 2008 who opened a new account. I also spoke to a manager to see if they had any play in getting me out of my existing contract or upgrade eligible so I can sign up for a new 2 year higher plan, they advised me they would loose their job and the corporate stores don't even handle cancellations or warranty stuff anymore outside the first 30 days. Im pretty close to not having a cell phone.

Edited by Ron in KY

i cant confirm or deny that that's true. all i can say is that the gps fee is not mentioned in any official press release as of yet, and usually when you talk to plain employees at a retail store with no actual inside knowledge, they usually have no idea what they're talking about. my guess is that the google maps/gps functionality is included.

I've got to agree with Joe. This sounds like AT&T employees talking out of their collective ass.

A $9.00 monthly fee for GPS, maybe; but that's hard to stomach, especially in light of the fact that most GPS devices are non-phone related and require no fee at all.

Also, AT&T has already stated that if an AT&T customer wants to upgrade to the new iPhone they can simply start a new 2 year contract regardless of when the old one started.

-Rob

How can they charge for a service that doesn't go anywhere near their cell network? GPS communicates directly with satellites owned by your delightful US government.

How can they charge for a service that doesn't go anywhere near their cell network? GPS communicates directly with satellites owned by your delightful US government.

well exactly, they cant charge for access to gps satellites, but all the gps does is tell the device the current location. on certain phones they can charge for the use of a turn-by-turn service which includes the data transfer required to get maps etc. like i said, i'm pretty sure its irrelevant on iphone because iphone has google map software using the required iphone data plan.