centro

Ipod touch firmware 2.0

Anyone know when this is coming out? I thouight it was today (11 July) ? As of yet in UK - no cigar.

the update for iphone is on their servers now, just not in the software update. unfortunately none for touch i believe. this is turning out to be a pretty rough launch, especially the mobileme taking over 24 hours. but hey, its only 2AM i california, so they still have all day to release everything.

the update for iphone is on their servers now, just not in the software update. unfortunately none for touch i believe. this is turning out to be a pretty rough launch, especially the mobileme taking over 24 hours. but hey, its only 2AM i california, so they still have all day to release everything.

Out of curiosity, I tried installing the iPhone firmware on the iPod touch - Bad Idea!

heh, yea, thats why i didnt include the link, i read that it was indeed for iphone only. what did happen, though? just an error message when trying to install? or did it eff up the touch?

heh, yea, thats why i didnt include the link, i read that it was indeed for iphone only. what did happen, though? just an error message when trying to install? or did it eff up the touch?

It sent the ipod into recovery mode - had to restore it!

Edited by centro

Just one question, Why did Apple try and do everything all at the same time?

I have learned to lower my expectations but this could only happen once the tin hat had been removed thus allowing logical and sensible thought patterns to enter my "once filled with Steve Jobs bull shit" head.

Thought, Microsoft serve just as many customers every working day in more countries.

Thought, Microsoft serve just as many customers every working day in more countries.

And, so does McDonalds. Your point is?

Looks like iPod users will have to pay:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/11/ipo...uch.20.upgrade/

I thought that was mentioned at WWDC, but, I'm probably delusional. I expected all along there would be a charge. It's in keeping with the different accounting practice for the Touch.

I thought that was mentioned at WWDC, but, I'm probably delusional. I expected all along there would be a charge. It's in keeping with the different accounting practice for the Touch.

No, you are ok. Jobs did state that iPod touch users would have to pay $9.95 for it.

I've actually been quite understanding about having to pay for the upgrades, but this latest one is making me a little angry. For anyone who didn't purchase the January Upgrade for $20, it is being INCLUDED in this one for free! So I essentially will end up paying $30 ($20 in Jan + $10 now) for something that many people will get for only $10. Yes, I understand, we "early adopters" always feel like - and almost always do - get screwed somewhere down the line (I pre-ordered my iPod touch before launch and then a few months later Apple dropped the price by $100), but this upgrade thing is now ridiculous. IMO, the January Upgrade doesn't do near as much as this one (2.0) and we had to pay 10 more dollars for it? I guess what I'm saying is: Apple needs to work out some kind of system where either all of the upgrades are always going to be one flat price (around $10), or they need to figure out a way where people who do purchase the upgrades don't get screwed soon after.

Wow, sorry for the rant. But when I found out that the 1.1.4 software was included with the 2.0 software at no extra charge, I had to say something.

Apple Geek

Well what did you expect them to do? Include the app store, but leave out mail? This is the price you pay for going for the "cheaper" option (rather than getting an iPhone). This was always going to happen.

Well what did you expect them to do? Include the app store, but leave out mail? This is the price you pay for going for the "cheaper" option (rather than getting an iPhone). This was always going to happen.

Yeah, I guess I understand that. But they could have had a "Buy 2.0 with January Upgrade" for $15. And "Buy 2.0" for $10. That would have at least made me feel a little bit better. Besides, I "went the cheaper option" basically because I can't really afford an iPhone. Sure I would love one, but as a 17-yr. old who is still in High School, money isn't the easiest thing to come by...

Apple Geek

And, so does McDonalds. Your point is?

That the infrastructure is not fit for purpose and given the fact that Apple "by their very own piss taking" (Im a Mac Im a PC) make themselves targets for such criticism and long may that be the case!

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

The launch has been a mess and given the amount of previous bad press .mac has received would you not agree that Apple should have at least got Mobile Me right?

Did I really need to give" a point" for the above comment or are you being obtuse for the sake of it?

Yeah, I guess I understand that. But they could have had a "Buy 2.0 with January Upgrade" for $15. And "Buy 2.0" for $10. That would have at least made me feel a little bit better. Besides, I "went the cheaper option" basically because I can't really afford an iPhone. Sure I would love one, but as a 17-yr. old who is still in High School, money isn't the easiest thing to come by...

Apple Geek

For some sad reason we seem to have a split between the iPhone\Touch owners and thats a shame because we are all of an age and intelligence that suggest better.

Your points regarding the "pay for updates" are valid, why on earth Apple decided to take this "penny pinching" approach is beyond me also Steve Jobs did not warn customers that they would have to pay for future updates for the Touch at its launch. The excuse for this doesn't stand up either, Steve Jobs stated that the iPhone updates had been "accounted" for so why did they not do the same for the Touch?

Its sloppy, dishonest and makes Apple seem greedy.

This was nothing to do with apple. It's because they get income for the iPhone every month (not sure how the 3g iPhone will affect this - I can see people having to pay for software updates on that now), but the iPod touch is paid for all in one go. Basically, iPhone owners are getting charged, so to get the same thing, iPod touch owners have to be charged, or iPhone owners will be asking for part of their monthly fee back - and like apple are gonna do that!