Sign in to follow this  
2farrell

MobileME Observations

I'm sure Apple will eventually fix this but the first thing I noticed with the Push Calendar feature is you can't have subscribed Calendars listed.

I am Subscribed to my Wife's Calendar and it doesn't show up on the iPhone now as it doesn't seem to be an option.

I hope that's eventually implemented.

I made some changes on my Address Book on the iPhone and within a minute it had updated on my Mac.

Good stuff!

Anyone else notice other similar changes?

It's better than nothing - which I have at the moment - the .Mac "Down for scheduled maintenance" banner when I attempted to log into that yesterday morning having today been replaced with this...

"MobileMe web applications not yet available.

The MobileMe transition is underway but is taking longer than expected. While core services such as desktop mail, iDisk and sync are available, the new MobileMe web applications are not yet online. Thank you for your patience as we complete the upgrade."

I bet they don't extend my subscription.

Mind you I don't yet have an iPhone - though I may well get one once the SIM-free hacks are out - assuming one can bypass the requirement to activate at purchase time.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

The MobileMe web services are finally up - and I can see problems already....

1. If one has more than 20 pages in an iWeb site only the last twenty are shown under iWeb within iDisk.

2. The value {n} in "You have {n} KB..." under "Account / Data Transfer (Details)" is negative.

3. The values under column "Used" under "Account / Mail and iDisk Storage / (Settings)" are all zero - wrong in my case.

I would tell Apple but I guess they're a bit busy right now.

If you see any anomalies please log them here and maybe (just maybe) one of the company's geeks will see this and do something about them. Well, maybe... one day.

I've found a work around (fiddle) for not having Subscribed Calendars show up on the iPhone.

I'm sure more cleaver folks here will come up with better.

Just use BusySync ($25) and Google Calendar as the go between.

This only works if you have a family member or friend that you share with. Not the public ones like US Holidays, etc.

Most of the instructions are in BusySync's Help File although I'd be willing to make a step by step tutorial if anyone wants it.

MobileMe is still struggling - online calendar access being poor with transfers of iCal data from one of my Macs to another taking an age due in part to sync failures - that being down to Apple's melting servers no doubt.

I wouldn't normally use iCal as I have Entourage (Office 2004) and a fixed Mac suits me fine - i.e. living in the clouds isn't that useful - especially as I don't have an iPhone. (I subscribed to .Mac for its other services.) However, given that MobileMe has iCal online I turned on sync services for Entourage just to see how it all hung together - that populating iCal and so the web-based version of that and other Macs I have syncronised to it. (Well, that's my understanding.) All fine and dandy, you might think, but the first time I did this the sync service on the Mac hosting Entourage crashed irrecoverably with the .Mac preference pane pages positively crawling along - so much so that I had to do a Force Quit. It stayed in that state but a test in another account on the same Mac (just syncronising my Safari bookmarks to make life easier) worked fine. In view of this (and after a failure to find a solution out on the web) I ended up backing up the data in my account, deleting it and then re-creating it et cetera - that sorting the problem out. So, a bit of a nightmare but at least I have a "new" account. P.S. I have 10.4.11 on all my Macs.

Finally, a friend of mine with a 1st Generation iPhone and 2.0 software (but no MobileMe) says he's not get getting Google Mail e-mail pushed to it - though whether or not he should I don't know - my antique Siemens A50 certainly not having to worry about such and that's all I'm bothered about.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

No, only .mac / MobileMe and MS Exchange is pushed. Everything else needs to be requested (every X minutes, whatever you choose in the mail settings).

I have was going to sign up for the free trial, but it says you must give a credit card and be billed the $99 after the 2 months unless you cancel, I saw you can get Mobile me off Amazon for $89. what happens if before my trial ends I order that? Will I have the option to renew with that and then it wont charge me the $99? I don't believe this is set up like how the old.mac trials worked.

As far as the gmail push issue, just have your gmail acct forward everything to your .mac or .me acct. Then set up your e-mail clients to just monitor the .mac or .me acct. That's what I do and it works fine.

As far as the gmail push issue, just have your gmail acct forward everything to your .mac or .me acct. Then set up your e-mail clients to just monitor the .mac or .me acct. That's what I do and it works fine.

Yep, that's what I did.

All accounts except MobileMe forwarded to Gmail and then to MobileMe account.

That way Gmail's Spam filters take out some of the Spam. Something MobileMe (like .mac) doesn't seem as good at.

I wish I had enough space to use mobileme exclusively. But I'd rather wait 15 mins to get an email and still have a reasonable amount of space on my iDisk. Shame they charge so much for it! At least the contact and calendar syncing still works.

Also found a serious security flaw. If you give someone your Mobile Me iDisk url, the settings are always public read/write. Only after you've clicked the iDisk Home button in the Mobile Me interface, the read-only setting is activated. This means anyone can use your Mobile Me account to share files, even if you don't want them to.

Update: Of course, I mentioned this to Apple through their feedback service (www.apple.com/feedback)

Edited by Ignoracious

I bet they don't extend my subscription.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2408

So, I lost my bet.

P.S. I'm still getting nowhere with my MobileMe calendars - even after Unregistering all computers - so I've told them via the support service.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2408

So, I lost my bet.

P.S. I'm still getting nowhere with my MobileMe calendars - even after Unregistering all computers - so I've told them via the support service.

I am also having an issue with Calendar Syncing.

Funny though, I entered a new event in my iPhone and it took 90 minutes before my Macs suddenly noticed the change.

This leads me to suspect Apple's Servers are still reeling from the weekend events.

I have to laugh that they reckon everything is OK now. They obviously haven't seen their own forums.

It'll be weeks before the dust starts to settle from this.