JohnWood

iPhone purchase experience

Rate the iPhone 3G launch  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the experience of the iPhone 3G launch?

• It Rocked!
    • It could have been better
    • It could have been worse
    • It sucked!

I was wondering if we could build a picture of listeners experiences of the iPhone 3G launch worldwide through the forum. I've added a poll to this thread for you to rate your experience of the launch.

Here's my story:

I live in Dublin, Ireland, and pre-ordered a phone on July 1st from an O2 Store. They took a 100 Euro deposit but said they could not guarantee me a 16GB model. Fair enough.

July 11th, I turn up at the store at 8.00 am. The store normally opens 9.30, but the O2 website publicized a 9.00 am opening. By 9.00, there was a line of about 20 people, but the store didn't open as advertised. Finally, at about 9.35, the manager opened the store. He stood at the door advising people with no pre-order that they would not be getting phones today, the store had exactly 11 models in stock, only a few of those where 16GB.

At the counter, the assistant showed me her pre-order spreadsheet. It had 11 names at the top highlighted green – those getting a phone that morning – and about 20 names below highlighted red. I was about halfway down the red list. No phone for me. I changed my pre-order to a 16 GB model and was told I might get my phone next week, maybe, they'd give me a call. Folks with no pre-orders were told they'd have to wait two weeks, maybe more.

I was disappointed, naturally, I'd been waiting two weeks since I prudently pre-ordered my phone to pick it up on launch day, and took time off work to go stand in line. Those levels of stock were typical in Irish stores, 10 phones here, 14 there. Pathetic. Now I hear the inevitable grumbling online about manufactured shortages. If there is even a grain of truth in that, I'd be so pissed. Worse, folks who didn't pre-order at all, but went to stand in line early at Car Phone Warehouse, got phones that morning (though CPW stock was at O2 levels, 10 plus or minus 5 phones).

It's not the end of the world, I know, but I feel the way Apple handled this launch sucked, big style. The predictable but unmanaged server load, the resulting activation debacle, the pathetic levels of stock all amount to a really bad user experience. The signs where all there for Apple to handle this better than last time – the sell out at O2s UK website the week before presaged what was to come. It's fine to build anticipation to fever pitch, Apple, but you need to be able to handle the resulting demand.

I'm still an Apple fanboy, but I do feel let down.

John

I queued up from 6am and I didn't get my iPhone. One o2 store said I'd be waiting until 4pm (I had to go to work), none of the others had any 16Gb's left. I hear that o2 and carphone warehouse are pissed with apple for giving them so many 8Gb's when it's clear that most people wanted 16.

Hey,

here are some news from Switzerland:

I had booked my iphone 16GB 2 weeks ago, and i queued 2 hours friday morning (early!) and yet stock was out when i reached the inside of the store ....

How frustrating. I asked how much stock they had, and it was about 10x16GB per shop ... and 30 or so x8GB.

Anyway in 4 hours, Switzerland was out of stock ... I don't know how they planned this ... but badly for sure.

I heard from other people that Orange (who's also proposing a plan here) had even less stock than Swisscom ...

As for me, i will have to wait until stock is refurbished and no one could tell me when that will be ....

Sad.

Cheers,

k

Edited by katapulse

I went to the Oakbrook, IL Apple store and was there before 6AM. There were problems, after problems right from the get go. I was about 35th in line, so not too bad, but the stores' Point of sale system was down, so nobody could buy anything. Talk about a bad day to have that happen. There were a few sporatic people leaving, since the system was up and down, but the iTunes activation servers were hammered and down. It was bad overall. The line didn't really start moving until 11:15 or so, and I didn't get out until 12:15. Luckily I did get my 16GB phone, but it was disinformation campaign of the US political system kind. Blame the other guy.

Sorry to hear you didn't get yours. Things were slightly better here in Cheltenham. I started queueing at 7:40am and was about 14th in line. The store opened at 9.00am and I finally walked out at around 10:30am (only 3 staff taking orders) , clutching my 'inactive' iPhone. The O2 computer system was down as soon as the doors were open, so paper application forms were filled in for every customer, and we were told that as soon as the computers were up, our details would be entered and our phones activated. This finally happened at around 3.00pm on Saturday.

Despite being 14th in line, I got one of the last 16Gb devices (none of which was white, but that was fine with me). People 4 behind me had to settle for the 8 giggers. I guess they get their rules on high, but it seems to me it would have been more helpful to check the store's stock levels in advance and let people in the queue know where the 16Gb cut off point was. It may have saved some people a wait for nothing (if I was really cynical, I might think it was a ploy to offload some 8 Gb devices who would settle for anything after waiting a couple of hours...)

Upon reflection, the whole thing was a bit like child birth - painful and slightly unpleasant at the time; but much better in retrospect, and pretty joyous once you've got your new baby home :-)

My experience: http://kjeserud.org/2008/07/15/getting-an-iphone-aint-easy/

My wish seems simple enough.. I want a 16GB black iPhone 3G. Simple yes? No. The problem is that apperantly, everybody else wants one to. I got in line at Byporten around 5:30, they’d open at 6am. When I got there I was number 140 in line. I was really surprised actually.. I knew the iPhone had been hyped in Norway as well as the rest of the world, but I wasn’t sure if anyone would get up early early to buy a phone here.

By 6am I’m guessing there was at least 200 people in line, probably closer to 250. Due to limited supply they gave out numbers, approximately as many numbers as they had iPhones, and sent the rest packing. 6am came, and the store opened. Being number 140 I expected to stand in line for about 2-3 hours at the most. Get people in, take their money, send them home. But no, I was wrong.. Very very wrong. The brilliant minds at the store had only two, I say again TWO, registers open. It’s a small store, but my God, they could have put in some temporary registers. It took about 5 minutes per costumer, and I had 139 people a head of me.

5 x 139 = 695 / 60 = 11.5 / 2 = 5.7 hours

But, I hang in there, with around 10-20 people left in line in front of me they gave us an announcement.

We’re sold out of black 16GB, but we still have some white 16GB and black 8GB.

mon Dieu! was all I could think. You should know, this was after a 10 hour shift at work and 5 hours in line. Straight! I was in my uniform! I came straight from work to the store, by the time they told us I’d been up for 22-23 hours. My back was shot to hell, my feet hurt like a bitch and I was at the crossroads. Settle for an 8GB or leave after all of that without an iPhone? Best case scenario I had 10 people left in front of me.. That meant another 30 minutes in line… I couldn’t do it. After more than 5 hours in line I just left.. I was pissed!

The website apparently sold out in under 5 minutes, so I wasn’t like I could just go home an order one online either. So now we wait…. 10am tomorrow it’ll go back on sale everywhere, so I’ll be at my computer, trying to get one online…

just curious if there were any more recent stories about trying to get an Iphone. I have been debating on going to the NYC 5th ave store early one morning to try to pick one up, or I may just wait til Septmber and maybe the demand might die down

i just went in today and got an iPhone (actually 2). Here's my experience:

i've been checking the website widget since last week to see what the availability is in general, but didn't really start looking to go to the store until this week. After calling all three "local" Apple Stores every morning i happened to hear that my favorite Apple Store JUST got a shipment in around 11:30 this morning.

i drove the 30 minutes up to the store and was the second person in line. The guy right behind me and i joked that if we qualified for car loans and mortgages we'd probably qualify for a phone. When it was finally my turn i learned that they only got a shipment of white 16GB phones which was perfect because that was exactly what my wife and i were looking for.

Setting up the account and porting over two numbers took about 30-45 minutes including the credit check. This was partly true because the person helping me was also being asked by store staff to help with the receipts printer. i had nothing to do today so that didn't matter. i was out of the store with both phones within an hour (i stayed to look over some stuff for a bit). Setting up the phone on iTunes was easy as cake, and the interface is pretty easy to figure out.

i've heard some people claim the GPS isn't very good, but i tried it out on the way home and it tracked my progress no problem.

You want to know what it's like trying to get an iPhone in the UK. Look at the o2 site. At the time of writing this, four whole shops in the entire country have iPhones in stock. Ridiculous.

i read that the UK is getting a "huge" shipment on the 25th for what that's worth.

Indeed there are loads of o2 stores with phones in, according to their website. Just hope they've got one left when I get down there after work (fat chance).

Good Luck!

If i understand time zones well enough as i post you should be getting ready to get out of work.

Well, I will be in three and a half hours.

Well, 16 days after the launch and I am still without a shiny new iPhone 3G. I just returned last night from a one week holiday in Italy, hoping that there'd be a message on my phone from the O2 Retail store, but no such luck. The O2 forums state that stock is arriving every week, but is very limited. I guess that looking for a 16GB model has affected my place on the list - I may have a phone now if I was happy to settle for the 8 GB model.

Ah well, I have been amusing myself with using some applications from the App store on my iPod Touch, which is fun, but not quite the same. I have been posting on my iPhone saga at my blog, here:

http://www.cognitivefriction.net/2008/07/1...saga-continues/

For anyone interested in one man's continuing story of iPhone 3G misery.

J

iPhone purchase in the UK last week.

I had quite a good purchasing experience. I checked the local shops on Wed evening last week, no stock, and no idea of next shipment dates.

I logged onto the Carphone Warehouse website on the same evening, and they had stock of 8gb iPhone 3G. After reading a couple of huge sets of contract terms and conditions, and filling in the normal info required for setting up a contract, I then had my iPhone delivered on Friday morning the same week.

The only downside was, the sim extractor tool was missing. After talking to a guy in the local O2 shop I was told a paperclip would do just as well, so I am a really happy Apple / O2 customer. :-)

-Kieron

I had a really great experience, albeit a very long one, buying my new iPhone on Launch Day. I made a video of the complete process - from getting on the line before 6am at an Apple Store in NYC until finally leaving with my new iPhone 3G over 6 hours later:

iphone3glaunch.jpg

To view the video, just click on the image above.

I enjoyed doing it. The people on line are always interesting and great to talk with. And the end result - having the new iPhone - made it time well spent.

Enjoy.

John Mahoney

The Digital Edge Blog

The Digital Edge TV

I ordered my iphone from the AT&T store on 53rd and 6th in NYC (right by my job). they said about 10-21 days, so I have time to get whatever I need done with verizon before porting my number over.

My purchase at the Apple Store was a good experience. I ported my number over from T-Mo and the change went through before I got 150 feet outside the store. That blew me away.

Monday 4th of August and still no iPhone for me. I went to the local shop here in Spain and they said that they could have some by the weekend. Told me to phone and ask. When I did phone they told me a month and a half before they would have stock.

Today I may try the store in Girona and maybe I could be lucky.

You people that have been able to order an iPhone or even Pre order an iPhone are so lucky.

Telefonica and 02 are the same company I believe but they have handled it much differently here. Their website states that the iPhone has arrived but it is clearly a lie because the store near me which was in the list of stores with the iPhone doesn't really know when they might have the iPhone in stock.

I don't even like the plans they have. For me to get the higher data limit I have to agree to spend 60 euro a month on phone calls and I barely make 10 euros worth of calls. So I will be stuck with the 200 MB limit. When I download more than 200mb they don't charge more but limit the bandwidth to a very slow trickle. Not exactly cut off but as good as..

Pretty crappy all ways really ! :(

A note to the user above.. I currently live in Marbella, Spain and I got so fed up I bought it in England instead.. I have had my name high up on the waiting list since day 1 and received no phone call. I have been to every store within an hour (by car) of Marbella. It's crazy in Spain, according to an article I read, only 6 iphones were delivered to the Madrid store (the biggest store in Spain).

------

Just bought mine, 16gb in Black, picture of hte rgt st store off my fathers iphone :) In and out within 45 minutes (including waiting in the queue)

2dqmy2q.jpg

Edited by Bainzey

Update: So I called into the O2 Store today and inquired about my iPhone. The staff told me that the waiting list had been cleared and that I should already have gotten a call to come and collect my phone. I had received no such call.

They checked the store room and found no phone waiting for pickup by me – I had somehow been overlooked, despite the fact that they had the preorder list as an Excel spreadsheet and a three-ring binder with paper details of all deposits taken and new accounts to be opened. The staff took my details, again, and have promised to call as soon as they can source a phone for me.

So my personal purchase experience for iPhone 3G, reaches new and previously undreamt of heights of suck, but at least it's getting fixed and I should have my phone soon. I hope. Fingers crossed. Wish upon a star...

Ordered mine thru direct fulfillment on July 23 at the Victoria Gardens ATT store in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. USA. They told be about 10-20 business days. I used the ATT tracking site to keep on top of it and yesterday, August 4th it arrived. It was 13 calendar days in total.

A quick trip to the store and my Verizon phone number was ported over with no problem and very quickly. I am up and running this morning!

Dave

I finally have got my hands on one. Carphone Warehouse offered to hold one for me when they came in and they gave me a call this afternoon. :D

Congrats Graham, I got mine too.

After my post yesterday, O2 called and said they had sourced a white 16GB phone that I could have that day, or they could get a black one by the weekend. I plumped for the white phone. I collected it yesterday on the way home from work, and I am delighted with it.

All's well that ends well.

According to the workers at the Regent St. store, The 8gb model and the white 16gb model arn't selling as well as the 16gb in Black. They had loads of them and hardly any black 16gb, because everyone asks for it. The regent street Apple store now has a constant flow of iPhones and everyday they are signing people up.. the queue is about 3 people long.. but there are 8 staff at a time, so the wait is max. 20 minutes.

Hope you all pick your iPhones up soon!