Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Mac

Getting new Mac

Hey Everyone,

Next month I will be picking up a new Macbook Pro (hopefully the rumored update will happen BEFORE I do!). My question is in regards to my iPod touch. As most of you probably know, there are certain functions (like getting your iPod out of disabled mode) that require the computer you first synced your iPod with. I plan to get rid of my iBook, which I am currently using to sync my touch, and I am concerned about this "first machine" rule and how it may effect me. Would a restore of the iPod's firmware when I get the Pro fix this situation and make my Pro the "first" computer it synced with? I really don't want to have to keep an old machine around for just this reason. Help?

Hi

I am not 100% on this but its my understanding that if you copy your current iTunes library folder (in its entirety) to your new Mac and "Authorise" your new machine you should be golden :) I have my iTunes library on an external HD that gets passed between 2 macs and works fine when syncing ipods/iphones and the touch.

Just one point, you say you have a Touch, did you pay for the upgrade? if so remember to bring that across as it lives within your /library/iTunes/Mobile Applications and not in your iTunes folder and should you need to restore your Touch once you have migrated to the MBP everything will return as per normal.

No, I currently have the upgrade through a jailbreak :D , but I do plan on purchasing the new 2.0 software and leaving the jailbreak behind once I get my Pro.