John Bowers

No Sound 5th Gen iPod

My 30GB white 5th Gen iPod is about 3 years old. It has been flawless until the sound output ceased from the jack or the dock after a short period of sound with static. I can still hear intermittent sound with static if I firmly squeeze the case to the right of the clickwheel. There are multiple reports of this phenomenon in 5th Gen iPods on the Apple discussion forum. Some have temporarily fixed the problem by placing the device in the freezer. Many, such as myself, use the device in the car and occasionally leave the iPod in the car during the summer heat. It's currently July in Virginia. The problem occurs in older out of warranty devices. A few have been able to get Apple to replace the device out of warranty. Have others had the same problem? If so, report it to apple.com/feedback. Have you been able to get Apple to replace the device?

i had a similar problem last Fall. Turned out to be the headphone jack getting bent or corroded. After cleaning the connection points myself the problem corrected for a week or so before recurring. i ended up sending out to these guys:

http://www.ipodfixit.com/

Who replaced the jack completely at a reasonable cost.

Eventually my local Apple Store offered to give me a 10% discount on any new iPod if I turned in my old device. I did so and bought a 30 GB iTouch which I really love.

People put them in the freezer ? ? ?

Sounds like living in a cold climate has served me well. I often listen to my 5G iPod (recently stolen) outside with my dog or when skiing. Never had this issue.

Guest WhackTheMac

This happened to my uncle, I don't think it is a corrupt hard drive or anything because it doesn't even work after a restore. It must be a flaw in that version of the iPod because he tried playing his iPod through a speak connected to the charge port and it didn't work their either.

thats pretty shitty dude, I'm such a trend whore that I buy a new iPod WAY before my old ones get a chance to fail

but from the sounds of it i bet either your 3.5mm jack is corroded or bent or the sound cable is loose (probably from expanding so much from the high heat)

if you dont want to send it off for repairs you can get a 30pin to 3.5mm audio jack adapter for about 30bucks and BADABOOM, you have working audio again!