Sign in to follow this  
jonathan

iDisk problem

Since the new MobileMe was launched I'm having problems uploading files to my iDisk.

I was trying to upload a large project (280 MB), but the upload would stop after just a few minutes and the prog bar would just "sit there". That's it. I would give it like 15 or 20 minutes to wake up and keep uploading, but it wouldn't continue. I quit the process and started over a few times and never made any progress.

I even broke the project in to small increments and it did the same thing with a smaller file.

Any ideas? Is this one of the many new bugs of MobileMe?

I find it dreadfully slow but then again my Broadband service only has an upstream speed of 256 kbit/s - i.e. 32 kB/s - which is a quarter of my (also slow) downstream speed. Both were perfectly acceptable before I started using iDisk but now they're not as putting up a Gb of data is going to take about ten hours by my reckoning. I took on .Mac principally to transfer audio and video files - mainly DVB programmes that I capture via EyeTV and render down to AAC and DivX respectively. (I know it may not be legal but I consider it fair use given that we here in Blighty have to pay £139.50 a year to receive such.) So, I'm going to have to change my Broadband package. I'd be interested in hearing how quick it is (if "quick" is the right word) for someone with a much faster upstream link - and who doesn't suffer throttling.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

It works fine with my 1.4mb/s upstream.

That's useful to know. So, one can theoretically get a gigabyte up there in 1.66 hours - which is roughly the time of a DVB programme in DivX format. I'd be interested in a test of such a sized-file on such a link - faster ones too.

You'll be hard pressed to find a consumer connection that is faster that my 24meg down / 1.4 up. To get faster you're getting into business SDSL territory which costs hundreds a month.

So I saw when I had a look yesterday. (If anyone else in the UK is shopping around try this.) Roll on the UK proposals covered here and in particular here - if they materialise. The linked page "Broadband speeds around the world" on the first of those two pages is particularly interesting.

Any test results would be still welcomed as it will be interesting to see how fast iDisk transfers can go. So, if there's anyone in South Korea, Japan, France or Sweden with their country's blazing Broadband who is able to contribute then please do so. Those with a high-end business link could also do the same. Tests at different points during the day would be handy too.

If only Apple would show this information on the product page - as they should with all "communication" devices. At least they give you a clue with AirPort and the iPhone.

Finally, I wish the file transfer progress window in Finder wouldn't lie and say that it's copied the file in no time at all by saying "Copied: {all} Mb of nnn Mb - (Closing file...) - Please wait..." and then just sit there with all-to-infrequent progress updates whilst it actually does the most part of the transfer. I also wish the progress update remained on display all the time whether it is accurate or not - the only reason I can think of for this poor interface . It would be handy too if when one attempts to stop a large transfer it did so quickly rather than just carrying on for what seems an eternity. I hope it's just me suffering these problems - a poor old Tiger user.

I'd rather BT spent 1.5 billion on getting our internet working at work. The bastards have been digging up the road all week and we're lucky to get 120k. So much for having a £200 / mo connection :|

I'm still on the "slow" service mentioned earlier and for the past week have been moving a load of "small" files (typically 30Mb each) up to my iDisk in batches of around a half a GB. They were sent overnight (via an 802.11g wireless network et cetera) as the process shafts my download speed - which I'm told is what happens with ADSL - and I've had mixed results in terms of the speed with just the occasional hang.

One problem I've had is that it takes forever (almost) to stop a transfer - which I had to do once or twice - and when I couldn't wait on one occasion and turned off my Mac the Finder ran like a dead dog a few minutes after starting it back up and logging into a specific account. I tracked that down to an automatic login to the Public area of my iDisk in that account - that having been set up a while ago by connecting to it and then adding it to the list of "Login Items" for the account - i.e. the way one might reasonably do so with most any drive. The solution was to delete that and re-establish it - perhaps with re-boot in between.

Finally, according to this it seems, as I suspected, that we non-Leopard users do suffer more.