Sign in to follow this  
thominendicott

New to MOBILE ME, Not Apple/Mac

All,

I'm unable to access Mobile Me services after setting up a new account. Furthermore, I'm unable to access any type of support from Apple. The 'email' link on the contact page on support.apple.com, simply forward you to the Mobile ME FAQ. Chat is not available. I'm using the @me.com as directed, and know the account was correctly setup, as I can login into the iForgot site and adjust/view my account. I was UNABLE to complete the 'setup' for Mobile Me after signing up - I received a page not found error. Any advice? Is there a way to complete the 'setup' now? O does it just bring you to instructions, not further activation information?

I've NEVER had trouble with Apple, nor have I found the support site lacking in the past, but getting a run around, including a link to a site, with no option to send a support email seems a bit off the mark. I realize they are getting SLAMMED due to the iPhone release, and the MobileMe release, but it was Apple's decision to roll these services out concurrently. I guess as time has gone on - I'm concerned that Mac users are being left behind, and customer service is starting to erode at Apple.

not sure what to tell you, mobileme has been having a lot of problems since the rocky start last week (but i thought it was working now.. it is for me anyway). i emailed a question to mobileme support regarding contact syncing, and then just today, after about a week of waiting i get a response which is basically just an apology for the long response time as well as a link to the main support page for address book on the mac.. i was like.. uhhh.. what?? are they serious? they didnt even attempt to answer my question.. thanks, apple.

perhaps they're still really busy getting mobileme 100% up and running.. but still, its annoying.

This gives an insight into some of the problems - though see the Apple forums for a bigger picture - perhaps even your specific one.

The problem I mention in the thread referred to and which I sought support from Apple for also got a similarly-pathetic response (after three days) in which they said...

"As a result of the overwhelming interest in MobileMe, the MobileMe Support team is receiving higher volumes of email than normal."

So, by "interest in" they mean "disaster that is" - double-speak subscribed to by those who have opportunities rather than problems. I'd also like to know what "normal" means since I wasn't aware the team was in place before launch.

I replied to that as follows...

"Nothing you suggest helps. My calendars are still shagged. Please do as I asked you to do originally and reset them."

The clock keeps ticking.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

A week passed and I got exactly the same response - even though I'd quoted their support reference in my reply to their original useless e-mail message. So, they got this today....

"Your suggestions are exactly as they were before and they still don't help. If you don't resolve this problem within a week I will be returning the .Mac retail pack which I bought from my local Apple Store at the beginning of the month and demanding a full refund."

It's enough to make one swear. Bastards! That's better - and that's just a flavour of the view of them which I have.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

A week passed and I got exactly the same response - even though I'd quoted their support reference in my reply to their original useless e-mail message. So, they got this today....

"Your suggestions are exactly as they were before and they still don't help. If you don't resolve this problem within a week I will be returning the .Mac retail pack which I bought from my local Apple Store at the beginning of the month and demanding a full refund."

It's enough to make one swear. Bastards! That's better - and that's just a flavour of the view of them which I have.

I would have to mostly agree with Mossberg :

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080723/apple...to-be-reliable/

Unless you're stuck because you were a .mac member or signed up because you fell for the hype, I would not recommend anyone sign up for MobileMe at this time.

Customer Support is just about non-existent and the service is way too flaky for many (and it's much more than 1% in spite of what they say).

And this is the first time I've had cause not to recommend an Apple Product after using it.

An interesting read and thank goodness that I don't rely on it (nor ever use) Windows these day. I managed to sort out my problem (which all seemed to begin here) no thanks to Apple. In brief I was in the position of having an Entourage calendar in MobileMe which I could not delete - also events set up in the default "Home" one there getting deleted when I tried to synchronise any Mac - and more. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly what I did but know it involved using iSync to "Reset Sync History..." then using the "Replace what's on .Mac" (or whatever the option was) when synchronising the Mac - at that stage doing Calendars only. I think I went on to do the same with iSync on my other Macs and replaced the Calendars on that - then setting up synchronisation for my Address Book and Safari Bookmarks on each - it all seeming to hang together. Mind you when I then synchronised an Entourage calendar it seemed to work but then went pear-shaped with an error message about the client not being able to sync popping up on all three Macs I was trying - though I suspect that was less to do with Entourage and more to do with the fact I tried to get all three Macs to synchronise at the same time. (That may be unusual but it should work.) Whatever the case the problem went away but I still have some doubts over the Entourage interface - something I need to run some further tests on - and I'm certain that MobileMe still has problems. I'm not going to bother contacting Apple to tell them I no longer need help given that I'd be wasting my ethereal breath - rather I'll just point them at this post and let them try and figure it out for themselves.

Apple (MobileMe Support) finally sent me what looked like a solution on Thursday - two weeks and two days after I reported the problem - a week too late as mentioned above. Today they sent me one asking me to complete their standard "How did we do?" survey form and in the bit where I was able to add a comment I said this...

[--- I appreciate the fact the implementation of MobileMe was little short of a disaster and that you couldn't cope but it was inexcusable to send me what was essentially the same useless support message twice - especially as I told you in my response to the first that the advice was of no use. The reason I have responded "Don't Know" to the question "Was your issue resolved by AppleCare Email support?" is that I sorted it out myself thanks to other resources such as forums - something someone without an IT background such as I have might have struggled with. That said it looks very much as if your solution may have worked and I hope you put it up on your support web site in case others suffer the problem in the future. ---]

I also gave them very poor ratings responses to most of the other questions.

Finally, I hope, in view of the likely validity of their solution - and my ability to comment on their service - I didn't bother referring them to this thread.