Luke W

Space Bar Sticky On Aluminum Keyboard

My brothers are pigs and when I sat down at our new 20" 2.4 GHz family Aluminum iMac I noticed that the aluminum keyboard space bar was all sticky (soda Im guessing). Can I remove the space bar off the keyboard to clean the pop out or is it non removable. I know that it was possible to remove keys off the previous white apple keyboards but Im not 100% sure on this one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We've not managed to get it back on after doing that. There probably is a knack, but we've always broken thinks when trying to get keys off.

My brothers are pigs and when I sat down at our new 20" 2.4 GHz family Aluminum iMac I noticed that the aluminum keyboard space bar was all sticky (soda Im guessing). Can I remove the space bar off the keyboard to clean the pop out or is it non removable. I know that it was possible to remove keys off the previous white apple keyboards but Im not 100% sure on this one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know this may not be for everyone, but Leo Laporte has claimed that he has sent keyboards through the dishwasher. Basically he says you can run them through there and as long as you let it completely dry out (like for a couple of weeks) that it should still be fine. Another thing you may want to try is dabbing some solution around your space bar key to see if it'll help (like a little bit of rubbing alcohol that will dry quickly, just make sure you aren't plugged in). Good luck!

I know this may not be for everyone, but Leo Laporte has claimed that he has sent keyboards through the dishwasher. Basically he says you can run them through there and as long as you let it completely dry out (like for a couple of weeks) that it should still be fine. Another thing you may want to try is dabbing some solution around your space bar key to see if it'll help (like a little bit of rubbing alcohol that will dry quickly, just make sure you aren't plugged in). Good luck!

Thanks!

Thanks!

On second thought, the washing machine route isn't really for me because at the time this is my only usb keyboard i have, so waiting 2 weeks for it to dry just wont cut it. And Im kinda scared to put my most favorite keyboard of all time in the washing machine lol. I think ill try your rubbing alcohol route. Leo is nuts but hes awesome.

He'd be nuts to put it in the (clothing) washing machine given that a dishwasher was recommended.

Remember, don't pour a lot of alcohol in there. just take some and dab it around the space bar and let some of it seep through. Then try working it down in there by pressing the space bar down a few times. Then let it dry out for a few hours before you plug it back in.

Ha ha my mistake, I ment to say the dishwasher not the washing machine.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Now, just be more careful in the future ;)