rosskuwait

iPhone 2.0 Unlocked

G'Day,

Just a quick note to say I followed iClarified's in-depth tutorial on how to unlock the iPhone (in my case how to un-brick my useless iPhone after downloading and installing iPhone 2.0 and iTunes 7.7), and after a couple of false starts (mainly not exactly following timing procedures for going into DFU mode), I am thrilled to report that it worked!

I am a Mac geek, but I am by no means a technical person and it was only sheer desperation that made me try the process myself.

I now have my iphone back, running 2.0 and have access to apps as well.

I still have a nasty taste in my mouth over Apple doing this in the first place, but I suppose those who laugh last laugh the loudest eh?

Many thanks too to those who wrote to offer advice/support.

Ross Kuwait (on hols in Oz).

I fail to see how it's apple's fault that you modified your phone's firmware, so a software update that is designed to run on a known configuration broke things.

I fail to see how it's apple's fault that you modified your phone's firmware, so a software update that is designed to run on a known configuration broke things.

Dear Graham,

You fail to see huh?

Well, well.

Spoken like someone who has legal iPhone sales in his own country.

Try coming to the Middle East and buying a "legal" iPhone.

Even now, no iphone.

So spare me the holier than thou moral high ground.

We dont all live or work in the Big Apple mate!

Dear Graham,

You fail to see huh?

Well, well.

Spoken like someone who has legal iPhone sales in his own country.

Try coming to the Middle East and buying a "legal" iPhone.

Even now, no iphone.

So spare me the holier than thou moral high ground.

We dont all live or work in the Big Apple mate!

I didn't see Graham's statement as 'moral high ground'. He's just stating the fact that unauthorized altering of the firmware is always risky whether or not you have legal sales available.

The main point I think he was making is that until you're sure it will work, you shouldn't upgrade your firmware.

Also, note that he lives in the UK. not the Big Apple.

I'll simply repeat what I've said in the past -- Apple is wrong to lock the iPhone to any networks worldwide. It goes against the grain of their founding and is hypocritical in light of the funding they took on by way of selling illegal hardware. If anyone isn't aware of what I'm talking about just use The Google to look up the exploits of Mssrs. Jobs and Wozniak.

Irrespective of what happened in the past Apple chose to lock users to networks in order to gain partners and sell as many as possible. Whilst some question whether putting out a network-independent handset would have been better I'm sure their marketing people researched this and came to the best decision for the company and so their shareholders to whom they are, of course, legally obliged to do the best for. I'm sure too that if someone carried out a survey of those who have got one through the official channels and have not hacked it are happy with what they've got. (The audience of this forum is not representative so don't try it here.) That said I refuse to buy a network-locked handset as not only do I want the freedom of choice of service provider and plan but I also want to use providers in other countries when I go there - i.e. using SIMs they provide - regardless as to whether I lose a few features like Visual Voicemail when using such. (I regularly go to Russia and there are no end of iPhone handsets in use there - almost all used on local networks - though whether many are 3G yet I don't know as I've not been since April.) So, if I get one I won't be using an official outlet - rather I'll be getting one via some other means providing I'm confident it can be hacked to allow it to take other SIMs - and I won't be so stupid as to upgrade the software on it until I know I can then unlock it again. Nor, of course, will I be blaming Apple if it goes pear-shaped since unlike some I would not be so arrogant as to think that the Terms And Conditions don't apply to me when I buy a product.