wtbard

Transferring Music from One Account to Another

I have used a general iTunes account for my stuff (touch apps), our household stuff (video) and my kids (music). As a result, I now have 5 computers authorized and so I can't sync my stuff to my PC at work (a limitation of the 5 computer auth limit).

I would like (not really, but about my only choice) to set up an iTunes account (if I can control what gets purchased) so my kids can purchase music. I would then want to transfer music that my kids have purchased from my account to theirs so I can then deauthorize their 2 computers.

Is this possible? Seems like Apple will need to address this limitation, limited number of computers authorized and linking video, music, and applications, before long.

By the way, my 5 computers are 2 Mac-Minis (can't use AppleTV since my TVs are not HDTV) set up as media servers for 2 TVs, my kids 2 computers, and my laptop. It would seem that those using Apple TVs instead of Mac-Minis would have the same problem.

Don't know with certainty but I don't think Apple will let you do that.

You can, however, burn all their stuff to CDs and put it on their machines in non-DRM format. A PITA, but it would work. The good thing about that is you'll have physical backups.

I also don't think they'll 'address' the limitations problem because it's been at the limit almost as long as iTunes has been around. My guess is the limit is written into their contracts with content providers.

Don't know with certainty but I don't think they'll let you do that.

You can, however, burn all their stuff to CDs and put it on their machines in non-DRM format. A PITA, but it would work. The good thing about that is you'll have physical backups.

I also don't think they'll 'address' the limitations problem because it's been at the limit almost as long as iTunes has been around. My guess is the limit is written into their contracts with content providers.

Yeah, I had thought of burning the songs to CDs.

I would think they would at least be able to separate the songs from videos and iPhone apps though.

Edited by wtbard

I don't doubt Apple has the capability to do that, I just don't believe they will.

I do a lot of database work IRL and have found that the data which seems like it should be available very often isn't. Their database may not be structured in such a way that makes doing what you wish an easy thing to do.