FORZA

Airport Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule?

I own a PC desktop, Dell laptop for work and a MBP that I primarily use for photo and video editing. Since my MBP only has a 200 GB hard drive I was looking at getting a pair of external drives for storage and backup. I have been looking at the AEBS and TC to help with my storage/back-up needs and also giving me the ability to upgrade my current G router to an N router. I really like the TC because it looks like it could be an all-in-one solution, but after reading tons a reviews I am totally confused on which one to get. Do I get the AEBS and hook up a USB hard drive or do I get the TC with the 500GB internal HD? I would be very grateful if anyone here could help me with this.

Are you PC and Dell 'N' capable?

Do you plan on using it for backup, etc for all the machines or just the Mac?

Personally, I'm still on Tiger, so can't totally answer the question but I prefer externals hooked directly to my machines for backup and extra storage. Even over N, backing up 200Gb can take a long time.

Are you PC and Dell 'N' capable?

Do you plan on using it for backup, etc for all the machines or just the Mac?

Personally, I'm still on Tiger, so can't totally answer the question but I prefer externals hooked directly to my machines for backup and extra storage. Even over N, backing up 200Gb can take a long time.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe they are not N capable. At this time I was just planing on backing up just the MBP since it has all of my photos and video on it. At first I thought I would just buy an external and hook it up whenever I needed it, but the thought of having a HD on the router or built into the router was very appealing to me.

I know there are people who are very happy with their Time Capsules. As I said before, I'm on Tiger so can't address that issue but I prefer SuperDuper and attached drives anyway.

If you buy either an AE or a Time Capsule, you'll need to split your network to take advantage of the N speed (keep your G router for use with the PCs) and I believe that means the networked drive won't be available to them so, in my mind, it would be better to buy an AE and a couple external HDs (pick the size based on need for the MBP and the other 2 machines). You can attach one to the AE to use with Time Machine and one as backup for the other 2 (they may be heathen boxes but they should still be backed up on a regular basis). My guess is the total cost will be in the neighborhood of the Time Capsule.

I know there are people who are very happy with their Time Capsules. As I said before, I'm on Tiger so can't address that issue but I prefer SuperDuper and attached drives anyway.

If you buy either an AE or a Time Capsule, you'll need to split your network to take advantage of the N speed (keep your G router for use with the PCs) and I believe that means the networked drive won't be available to them so, in my mind, it would be better to buy an AE and a couple external HDs (pick the size based on need for the MBP and the other 2 machines). You can attach one to the AE to use with Time Machine and one as backup for the other 2 (they may be heathen boxes but they should still be backed up on a regular basis). My guess is the total cost will be in the neighborhood of the Time Capsule.

Maybe I sould have a fire sale for the heathen boxes and use the proceeds towards a Mac Pro :lol: So the whole network is as fast as the slowest machine? I was thinking that the MBP would be able to take advantage of the N speeds, while the heathen boxes would just operate on G speeds.

By the way, thanks for your feed back. I am still such a noob at this, and trying my best to get my head around all things Mac.

Yes, wireless performance is limited by the slowest currently connected device. I have an article on my site with getting two networks going together. Search for 'network' at http://tin-men.net and it should come up.

The first backup to a TC will take an age over wireless - even on "n" - but note this...

"If you have an Ethernet cable, you can perform your first backup to your Time Capsule via Ethernet; this will allow for the fastest initial backup especially with client computers that use 802.11b or 802.11g."

...culled from Apple's support pages.

Yes, wireless performance is limited by the slowest currently connected device. I have an article on my site with getting two networks going together. Search for 'network' at http://tin-men.net and it should come up.

Thanks for the link Graham.

What are your thoughts on AEBS vs. TC?

Get whichever suits your needs. They basically do the same thing for roughly the same price.

Get whichever suits your needs. They basically do the same thing for roughly the same price.

I jumped on Apple.com and spotted a refurb AEBS for $149.00, so my mind is made up. Thanks again for breaking it down for me @tin-men.

So time machine backup with the airport extreme is being supported again? I am out of the loop but I remember when leopard first shipped it was only supported on the Time Capsule.

So time machine backup with the airport extreme is being supported again? I am out of the loop but I remember when leopard first shipped it was only supported on the Time Capsule.

By what I have read on Apple's website and the various reviews I would say yes.

It's not officially supported by apple, but it works with no hacking, and works well. It's what I use for my secondary backup (since you never can beat a good bootable backup).

It's not officially supported by apple, but it works with no hacking, and works well. It's what I use for my secondary backup (since you never can beat a good bootable backup).

Great. Gonna need an airport extreme now too.

(since you never can beat a good bootable backup).

Which is why I'm really not interested in Time Machine and, to some extent, Leopard.

Oh leopard has many, many more features than just time machine. All the stuff that developers are just starting to expose (like the core animation stuff) is starting to look super cool.

Oh leopard has many, many more features than just time machine. All the stuff that developers are just starting to expose (like the core animation stuff) is starting to look super cool.

My copy will be here tomorrow. I ordered it in order to run spore and because the adobe issues seem to be sorted at this point.