mobilexile

AT&T Wireless network in the US was FUBAR this morning

Earlier today the AT&T Wingular network was FUBAR here in Minneapolis. Users like myself couldn't make calls to most phone numbers, including 611 for AT&T support. When attempted they got a message stating that the number dialed 'is not in service.' I had this issue. My wife had this issue and some friends I checked with had the same problem. Anyone else?

BTW, it didn't matter what you tried to call -- local, long distance, land line, wireless number, toll-free, etc. they were all 'unavailable.'

The only twi numbers I could call were my wife and a friend who's on T-Mo.

Edited by mobilexile

Were you ale to talk to AT&T?

The only time I had that happen they told me a tower was out or something, but today, I didn't experience any problems on the St Paul side of the river. I made and rec'd several calls throughout the day.

I was working and unable to stay on the phone with AT&T during the outage due to my schedule. However, my wife called them from a land line, waited over forty minutes to speak with a rep and finally had to go. I did call after the fact and was given an amorphous answer to my question that, in the end, meant nothing.

One additional note on the issue -- people using the 3G iPhone appear to have had this problem. Those with other handsets, including the 1st gen iPhone, experienced no such outages.

Odd that it would be handset specific, but odd things happen.

Odd that it would be handset specific, but odd things happen.

Given the 3G iPhone was the only 3G device I know of my guess is that the 3G network had a hiccup.

That makes no sense. The 3G iPhone doesn't use 3G to place or receive calls. It only uses it for data.

That makes no sense. The 3G iPhone doesn't use 3G to place or receive calls. It only uses it for data.

From Apple's website:

... and if you’re in an area without a 3G network, iPhone connects you via GSM for calls and EDGE for data ...

I'm not well-versed in the technical details but my understanding is that the 3G network is both voice & data. Needless to say the primary benefit is the increased data speed.

Link that confirms the voice aspects of 3G: http://tinyurl.com/4gcdt6

Edited by mobilexile

yea i'm not sure either. i didnt try making any calls this morning in minneapolis, but i had full bars and my 3G data was working fine all morning if that means anything.

yea i'm not sure either. i didnt try making any calls this morning in minneapolis, but i had full bars and my 3G data was working fine all morning if that means anything.

that's the funny thing, i had a strong signal and there were no data issues -- sms, internet or email. i drove around a little covering approximately ten miles and no improvement came about.