bluesix

iphone sync

i found that u can stop the back up in itunes and still sync if your in a hurry ....just hit the x in itunes ...helped me so .....

i found that u can stop the back up in itunes and still sync if your in a hurry ....just hit the x in itunes ...helped me so .....

Yes, I finally figured this out, too. I wish that they would let you choose an option of when and how often to back-up. I don't like having to baby-sit my iTunes just so I can remind it not to do a 20-minute back-up every time I sync my iPhone! Grr...

The reason it takes so long is the fact that it is backing up ever single resource into it's own plist file. I started looking after my backup took over 45 minutes to finish. So not having so many apps on your phone or ipod touch will reduce the length of time to do backups. I don't know if this is truly the case, but I will be testing this out.

Just a word of warning on this. I usually allowed iTunes to make a backup every time I plugged in my iPhone. But I needed to do a quick sync not long after having done a backup, so I hit the (X) to skip the backup. Later that day my iPhone crashed and I got the Apple Logo of Death. I had to do a factory restore, then tried to restore the data but it said the backup was corrupted.

Whether or not this was related to skipping the last backup or just coincidence I don't know.

Actually a good thing because it prompted me to look into storing various stuff "in the cloud" instead of relying on regular backups including mail, contacts, calendar, notes, todo list, bookmarks, rss feeds. Interested to hear what others sync to servers. Wouldnt mind a password safe which syncs to a server (encrypted of course).

I downloaded the latest iTunes (version 8.0 Mac OS) and now I am syncing my 1st gen iPhone. So far it has been backing up for 1 hr 40 minutes and the progress bar shows that it is about 1/3 through. I'm hoping that after this first sync with the new iTunes that the backup times will improve. Otherwise I might have to cull my 52 apps.

I downloaded the latest iTunes (version 8.0 Mac OS) and now I am syncing my 1st gen iPhone. So far it has been backing up for 1 hr 40 minutes and the progress bar shows that it is about 1/3 through. I'm hoping that after this first sync with the new iTunes that the backup times will improve. Otherwise I might have to cull my 52 apps.

The 2.1 software update for you iPhone people should be out on Friday. I have already updated my iPod touch to 2.1 and I can confirm that the backups go SO MUCH faster. It is like a night and day difference.

Apple Geek

I had the same experience as Apple Geek. My iPod touch backup was down to a slow crawl and I was extremely frustrated as I refresh podcasts daily, but with the new software update it's down to a minute or two. Don't cull those apps yet!

Edited to say that I just synced and with 28 apps the backup took about 7 seconds today. Much better than an hour. :rolleyes:

Edited by podgirl

From what I have been reading, a lot of this stems from using a USB hub instead of connecting it directly to your computer.

I did eliminate some of my apps (I had 51 installed apps plus the perma-apps) and updated my iTunes software and the iPhone is syncing much faster now. I'm still at iPhone software version 2.0.2, so maybe I can get even more improvement with an update to that.