Sign in to follow this  
Apple Geek

Should I be worried?

Hello everyone,

I got a brand new MacBook Pro on Thursday and just have one quick question about it. I was reading the instruction manual and I got to the page about putting the MBP to sleep. The page had a "NOTE" near the bottom that said something about waiting a few seconds after you close the lid to make sure the hard drive has stopped spinning before you move the MBP. Now I know that I probably shouldn't pick up my computer and start shaking it vigorously, but how careful do I need to be about this? Can this be a huge problem? Also, if I want to cary my MBP into another room but don't want to close the case, could this be affecting the same thing (hard drive still spinning)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apple Geek

P.S. As a side note, I have noticed that the little sliver of plastic between the top of the keyboard and the screen on my MBP gets very hot to the touch, the bottom does as well. Do I need to worry about that either damaging the computer or what it is sitting on...?

Yes, you really should wait for it to stop spinning. I don't, but I get a new computer reasonably often though work, so it doesn't really bother me. If your computer isn't doing anything when you move it, then it will probably be ok. When putting it to sleep, you should wait for the light to start pulsing. When it goes to sleep, the contents of the RAM is written to the HD in case of power failure, so say you have 4Gb of ram, a 4gb file needs to be written to the disk before it can go to sleep.

And yes, the MBP does get stupidly hot.

yes, the computer writes the contents of memory to the hd when going to sleep, which can take a long time if you have lots of ram. this is only important in the case that your battery runs out of juice or gets removed while the computer is asleep, as i understand it. if you're comfortable with the terminal, its possible to stop it from writing to the disc when going to sleep.

type "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" without quotes and enter password when prompted.

then type "sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage" without quotes to remove the sleepimage file.

be especially careful with the rm command and only do this if you're comfortable with terminal. i did this and now my computer sleeps and wakes in about 2 seconds.

see this article for more info.

Ok, thanks for the replies everyone. So as long as I'm not doing anything and I'm careful, I should be able to move it with the screen on?

Thanks.

Apple Geek

Ok, thanks for the replies everyone. So as long as I'm not doing anything and I'm careful, I should be able to move it with the screen on?

Thanks.

Apple Geek

Your fine. Move it while the computer is running all you want [well, within reason] and while I think it may be best practice to wait for the drive to spin down when sleeping I just close it and put it in the bag and never had an issue.

The strip below the screen is ridiculous. I think you could fry an egg there but it's normal.

The heat is very normal indeed. The only thing I can suggest is to use a fan control program (there are a few out there, a FanControl preference pane you can download and a program called SMCFanControl are the few that I'm aware of) that can turn up your fan speed at idle to help cool it off (used them for two years now with no issue). These programs just help me take the heat edge off so to speak (knocks it down a few degrees) which really helps out with the heat output above the keyboard. Just a suggestion.

Edited by groomsy57

As someone who fixes apple computers to (partly) earn my living, you shouldn't move the computer when it is on. The hard drive is still making small reads / writes even when you think it's idle, and it's still definitely spinning. I've replaced many a hard drive because of this. Those who haven't had any issues from doing this are simply lucky.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I guess if it is normal for my computer to get that hot, I won't worry about it. It just seems awful hot...haha. Also, thanks groomsy57 I'll take a look at both of those programs and see if one of them might work for me.

Thanks.

Apple Geek

As someone who fixes apple computers to (partly) earn my living, you shouldn't move the computer when it is on. The hard drive is still making small reads / writes even when you think it's idle, and it's still definitely spinning. I've replaced many a hard drive because of this. Those who haven't had any issues from doing this are simply lucky.

Wouldn't that depend on how you are moving your laptop as well? as long as you don't make sudden jerks with it, you should be fine (isn't the danger that the read/write arm will hit a platter?). I don't recommend moving long distances with your laptop on, but if you are getting up from your couch to move to your bedroom or something (assuming there are no stairs involved) then you should be quite alright as long as you keep the laptop pretty steady as you walk. I just wouldn't recommend walking long distances though. (I live in a small apartment, so my bedroom to the living room is a very short distance)

Yes, obviously that's a factor, but the fact remains that when you put your computer to sleep, the heads are moved to the parked position, so they're nowhere near the drive platters. Since the distance between the head and the platter is so small, even the slightest bump can cause irreparable damage.

You can ignore my advice if you want, but this is what I do with my personal laptop (and I kinda know what I'm talking about).

I definitely understand where you are coming from and I always try to avoid moving my computers when they are on (desktop or laptop).