joenspa

Delete an unsent email?

15 posts in this topic

I tried to send an email and it didn't go. I got a message that I thought said it was moved to my out box. Where is that? It's a work email I don't want to go out now, how do I make sure this doesn't happen?

There should now be a mailbox called "Outbox". Go in there and delete the email.

If for some reason your Outbox isn't showing up in the side bar, just go to Mailbox/Go To/Outbox or "Command-2".

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

If for some reason your Outbox isn't showing up in the side bar, just go to Mailbox/Go To/Outbox or "Command-2".

Hope this helps.

Apple Geek

Bear in mind this is the iPhone forum ;)

If an email is pending to be sent, it'll say so at the bottom of the screen when you open any mail folder.

I don't think it's possible to see the email before it gets sent. There's no outbox like you say. And it doesnt get saved to the draft folder.

Yes, there is an outbox on the iPhone. Mine regularly gets full of messages waiting to be sent whilst I have no signal when I'm on the tube to work.

Bear in mind this is the iPhone forum ;)

If an email is pending to be sent, it'll say so at the bottom of the screen when you open any mail folder.

I don't think it's possible to see the email before it gets sent. There's no outbox like you say. And it doesnt get saved to the draft folder.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out to me. I must have missed it at first! But to my knowledge, there still is an outbox on the iPhone (you just have to access it a little differently than I originally described) ;) .

Apple Geek

Yes, there is an outbox on the iPhone. Mine regularly gets full of messages waiting to be sent whilst I have no signal when I'm on the tube to work.

An outbox which you can see? A folder?

Maybe it's because you're using MS exchange?

I have an IMAP account, and Mobile Me, and Yahoo accounts setup, and I can't see an Outbox folder. Can't see a setting for it either.

Just clarify, by Outbox I'm assuming a folder containing emails pending to be sent. Not the drafts folder (uncompleted emails) or the Sent folder (successfully sent emails).

No, I have an outbox on both my exchange account and my IMAP accounts.

No, I have an outbox on both my exchange account and my IMAP accounts.

If the IMAP provider makes use of an "outbox" folder then it would show up on the iPhone, but I don't think the iPhone would know what to do with it. It would treat it like any other folder I'd have thought. For example in the IMAP settings you can tell the iPhone which folders to use for drafts, sent and deleted messages, but there's no option to tell it which folder is used for outbox/pending messages. Same thing with Mobile Me too, but then that also uses IMAP.

An outbox isn't part of the IMAP spec. It's a local folder on whatever mail client you use. I put my iPhone into airplane mode so it wouldn't send anything just for you:

20080816-r7eek83djdp7c92y8wjk1ter83.jpg

An outbox isn't part of the IMAP spec. It's a local folder on whatever mail client you use. I put my iPhone into airplane mode so it wouldn't send anything just for you:

Thanks, just tried it and it's working now! Very odd.

I did *exactly* what I tried first time around (sent email while in airplane mode) but for some reason the "outbox" folder is shown now. Works with all three of the email accounts I have setup. First time around I tried this for all three accounts, more than once, and trippled checked for the presence of an "outbox" folder and it just wasnt there. But at the time I could tell there were emails pending to be send because it said so at the bottom of the screen when I opened any of the other folders.

Either there was a temporary glitch or I'm losing my sanity. Whatever it is, I have something in common with the guy who started this thread because they had trouble seeing the "outbox" folder too. Though ironically it still doesnt help the original question because all the delete options are disabled for the outbox folder - pressing "edit" button in the outbox folder does nothing, and opening a message in the outbox folder shows the trashcan disabled.

Thanks for taking the time to post the screenshot.

Swipe across the message once you open the outbox and you can delete it.

Swipe across the message once you open the outbox and you can delete it.

Does indeed.

Noticed it continues to show "1 Unsent Message" afterwards when opening another folder. But it didn't get sent when reconnecting to the net so it did work.

Playing with it a little I noticed a couple of times it took a number of seconds for the Outbox to appear. About 15 to 20-ish seconds. Maybe this contributed to what I experienced first time around and I didnt give it enough time to appear. Most times it appears right away now.

Apple have a few kinks to iron out with the Outbox.

Not really. It keeps trying to send for a little while incase the interruption to your network connection is only temporary.

Not really. It keeps trying to send for a little while incase the interruption to your network connection is only temporary.

"Not really" to which part, re the delay (fair point btw, though it varies quite a bit from instant up to 20 secs) or the kinks?

Assuming originally it was all down to me not giving it enough time for the "outbox" to appear, 2 of the 3 delete methods are disabled in the outbox, and it continues to show "1 unsent message" long after the message in the outbox was manually deleted, so appear to be some kinks to fix at least.

Edited by GreenAlien