bigruss

Change Sound levels in iTunes Audio Books

I am a book junkie. I have a couple of books I recorded from CDs that play very low volume. This problem happens on the MAC as well as the iPod. Just double clicking the book and then another you can tell the difference big time. I have gone in preferences and checked the Sound Check box, and have moved the volume up to 100% in all the books, but this does not help. I have Toast 9 and tried its features. It sort of works. I can convert the CD files in Toast 9 and the volume will be what I want, with one problem. The file it creates can't be used by iTunes. To make it an MP3 file I am required to burn the file to a CD and can't burn the new MP3 to a disk file. (why is beyond me). What I am looking for is a program that I can take my file, and amplify the volume, and save it to disk. Anybody know of one out there?

I haven't used Toast since version 6 but that sounds odd. What kind of file does it make (.aiff, .mov ... ?)

Toast 9 can read every type of audio format I have, that is no problem. My files happen to be MP4b files which are made by the program Book Builder. (awesome program by the way). I simply drop the file in the Toast 9 window, click on NORMALIZE function, and the audio is louder. Problem with Toast, is I can only write that file to a CD, not to a Hard Drive. Second problem with Toast, is the support. They seem to only send canned replys only. I asked them how to write to a hard drive instead of a CD, and they sent a canned reply on what files are supported by Toast, not answering the question at all. I am guessing I need another solution unless someone out there knows a work around. Russ