Sign in to follow this  
ipss

iPhone Bookmarks + Firefox?

I have seen bits and pieces of this question, but never answered in a direct way...

If I use firefox as my primary browser, how can I get my firefox bookmarks onto my iPhone? What I do not want to do is constantly export my firefox bookmarks and import them into safari.

I have seen apps like Bookit, which looks like it would do exactly what I want (keep firefox and safari bookmarks in sync), but it does not work with firefox 3.

I know there are many firefox users out there.... how do you keep them in sync with your iPhone (or MobileMe)?

Phil

I have seen bits and pieces of this question, but never answered in a direct way...

If I use firefox as my primary browser, how can I get my firefox bookmarks onto my iPhone? What I do not want to do is constantly export my firefox bookmarks and import them into safari.

I have seen apps like Bookit, which looks like it would do exactly what I want (keep firefox and safari bookmarks in sync), but it does not work with firefox 3.

I know there are many firefox users out there.... how do you keep them in sync with your iPhone (or MobileMe)?

Phil

One way is to use Foxmarks. This is a free plugin for Firefox which syncs the bookmarks up to their server. You can then visit their website to view all the bookmarks. They have a version optimized for mobile browsers too which works fine with the iPhone.

A couple of things to note are

1) When I set mine up I had to account for the fact I have third-party cookies disabled in Firefox. Takes a few seconds to add an exception so that cookies for foxmarks.com are allowed then that works fine.

2) Although their regular website has an awesome ajax-ified search for quickly finding a bookmark, the mobile version has no search. You could switch to the regular website on the iPhone (there's a link at the bottom of the mobile version for switching between the two) to do searches but it'll take a while to load, you've have to do some panning around the page, and when I tried it it crashed the browser. Best to just stick with the mobile version and keep the bookmarks organised. The only problem in my case is my bookmarks are nowhere near as organised since I started using Firefox v3 because the smart address bar makes it so much easier to tag and find bookmarks now, so I don't sort them into folders anymore.

3) You wont be able to edit the bookmarks or sync from your iPhone. It's just for viewing bookmarks previously saved in Firefox.

A Foxmarks app for the iPhone to deal with 2 and 3 would be great. Worth emailing foxmarks about it.