Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

blu-ray on appletv

I just bought a new HDTV and was thinking about getting a blu-ray player to go with it. I showed my wife the appletv at the apple store and we both agreed it would be nice to have for movie rentals, viewing our many photo albums, etc. I only wish it had a blu-ray player. Any ideas?

We bought an AppleTV last May after we got a new HDTV as well. Works very well for getting not only HD content (rentals) to the screen, but serves as a hub for the entertainment system flawlessly. i'd eventually like to get a Blu-Ray player, but i am waiting until the prices drop a bit before getting one. Having it as part of the AppleTV is very unlikely in the near future IMO.

If you are asking for guidance i'd say go ahead and get the AppleTV now and get a Blu-Ray player down the road.

If you are asking for guidance i'd say go ahead and get the AppleTV now and get a Blu-Ray player down the road.

Yeah, I would recommend the Apple TV right now as well. The Blu-Ray Players will continue to go down in price. So if you don't buy one for 6 months, it will more than likely be cheaper then. I have a PS3 for a Blu-Ray Player and I would recommend that when you do decide to buy. It's one of the cheapest Blu-Ray Players, it works really well, and it also plays games if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

I am still holding off on Blu-Ray. It is not just the price of the players, the discs are ridiculously expensive in the UK!

On the other hand, I am loving my Apple TV at the moment. I use it to play ripped DVD content rather than anything else, but the convenience of having a huge chunk of content in one place means a lot more to me than having hi-def content.

Plus when you factor in your music and photos being freed from the computer, I can't help but recommend it.

I recommended it to my Father recently and he has ended up buying two for him and one for my younger brother!

It really depends on what you want.

Do you want Music, videos, photos, ect that are on your mac to be on your tv? apple tv is what you will want first.

Do you just want a box to rent movies and watch movies on? Get netflix and a blu-ray player, and maybe even a netflix set top box.

If you want both, then you may have to go without blu-ray or connect your computer/ipod to your tv.

"If you want both, then you may have to...connect your computer/ipod to your tv."

Not as hard as I thought it might be. And the TV works as a pretty cool second monitor.

Edited by jlamb0