Sign in to follow this  
Eye_Doc

802.11n network help!

Very generously, I have been given a Time Capsule which I hope to replace my UFO style Airport base station with.

Everything I need to connect to (Apple TV, MBP) has 802.11n adapters except my iMac which is right on the top floor of the house.

So I was going to connect the Time Capsule straight to the iMac via Ethernet so that it doesn't have to use 802.11g and so I can have n throughout.

HOWEVER (and here is where I need the help!), my Cable provider's cable does not stretch upstairs and even if it did, I suspect I would have a devil of a time getting it up to the top floor.

SO, can I use a airport extreme as a bridge from the cable provider's ethernet cable to the wireless network and then wireless up to the Time Capsule which can sit by my iMac?

Or if anyone else has any other suggestions then I will be really grateful for them!

Thanks guys!

PS Has all the problems with XBox 360's and Apple Routers been sorted otherwise I guess I am keeping the old router!

Yes, that's exactly what you should do (and indeed what I'm doing - I have one wireless network for my mac running n and one for my iPhones running g).

Set your TC to bridged mode and lash an ethernet cable between that and your old router. Set the Time Capsule to create a new wireless network in 802.11n Only (5Ghz for a faster network, 2.4 for a network with better range) mode and you should be up and running. I covered this on my blog (with an extreme, not a TC but the principle is exactly the same): http://tin-men.net/2007/04/16/network/

Set your TC to bridged mode and lash an ethernet cable between that and your old router.

Thanks for your help!

So, in my case, i would have...

Cable modem <--> Old g router <--> Airport Expreess <--> Time Capsule <--> iMac

I am effectively using the Airport express as a bridge between the old network and the new network!

Currently hunting down an additional Network Cable!

Edited by Eye_Doc