Tobz

Smart Playlist Question

I have a smart playlist for new music, which gives me all music imported in the last month. I would like to set it so that music is removed from this playlist once I've played it ie. when the play count is 1 or more. However, I would like to keep whole albums in the playlist until every song from that album has a play count of 1. Is there a way to do this?

Also, I like to sort by date added for this 'New Music' playlist, so I have the newest music at the top, but the tracks are always out of order, which is really annoying! Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance :)

For the sorting, you can click on the date added column and choose to sort by it (command J if it's not there).

As to the other problem - I don't know of any way to keep whole albums in there. Just how for it to work on a per song basis.

For the sorting, you can click on the date added column and choose to sort by it (command J if it's not there).

As to the other problem - I don't know of any way to keep whole albums in there. Just how for it to work on a per song basis.

Thanks for your quick reply - I don't think I made it clear enough - the albums are in order, but the tracks within the albums are not!

Thanks for your quick reply - I don't think I made it clear enough - the albums are in order, but the tracks within the albums are not!

With every alb um or just albums you bought electronically (iTunes, Amazon)? Albums bought electronically will usually be downloaded out of order, and i'm not sure why. Perhaps file size. There is no known fix for that besides removing them from iTunes and adding them back in the album order individually in the correct order. If your CDs that are ripped are out of order then i'm stumped because that should be in track order.

With every alb um or just albums you bought electronically (iTunes, Amazon)? Albums bought electronically will usually be downloaded out of order, and i'm not sure why. Perhaps file size. There is no known fix for that besides removing them from iTunes and adding them back in the album order individually in the correct order. If your CDs that are ripped are out of order then i'm stumped because that should be in track order.

All albums...The tracks of an album are together, but just not in order together, because the first track is imported first, and the last track imported last, so you get the last track at the top, and the first track at the bottom.

All albums...The tracks of an album are together, but just not in order together, because the first track is imported first, and the last track imported last, so you get the last track at the top, and the first track at the bottom.

Have you tried sorting by the first column (the one that has all the numbers). I don't know if this will make your albums go 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3, etc... (instead of 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3, etc...) but it is worth a try. You can also Get Info on the songs and make sure that the "Track Numbers" are in order.

As far as your question about having them delete after the entire album has played- I'm not sure that this is possible. But I do understand what you are wanting.

Apple Geek

Edited by Apple Geek

Have you tried sorting by the first column (the one that has all the numbers). I don't know if this will make your albums go 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3, etc... (instead of 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3, etc...) but it is worth a try. You can also Get Info on the songs and make sure that the "Track Numbers" are in order.

As far as your question about having them delete after the entire album has played- I'm not sure that this is possible. But I do understand what you are wanting.

Apple Geek

Sorting by the first column just makes everything go a bit weird, there doesn't seem to really be any discernible order at all then!

Is there maybe a plugin/script or something that could do either of these?

The first column allows you to drag the files into any order you want. A bit of work on your part, but it is a good option for sorting your albums correctly.

Have you thought about using the date added column from "oldest first"?

The first column allows you to drag the files into any order you want. A bit of work on your part, but it is a good option for sorting your albums correctly.

Have you thought about using the date added column from "oldest first"?

Thanks, I didn't realise your first suggestion worked in smart playlists, so there's another bit of knowledge for me! However, it doesn't really suit my purpose for this task.

I thought about going from oldest first, but some albums (such as those from iTunes when three tracks download at once) don't get added to iTunes in order, which I suppose was a problem the other way round anyway! I suppose this is a kind of solution, and for now it will work, so thank you, but it just means I can't see the most recently added stuff first!