kreskin13

New iPhone - problem!

I just got a new iPhone yesterday, it's activated and the phone part is working fine. The problem I'm having is after I synced it to my MacBook Pro the music, pocasts and movies don't show up when I hit the iPod button on the iPhone. Also the apps show on the screen but after they start to open they close before opening fully.

I loaded all the apps (73) that I had on my Touch. I didn't do the latest update until after I noticed the problem. I did the latest update this morning and still have the problem.

All the apps that came preinstalled on the iPhone open just fine but none of the 73 that I installed.

Both iTunes and the iPhone say that the music, podcasts and movies are there (as far as space taken up). I have only 3.3gb left on my 16gb iPhone but it doesn't show up!

HELP!! :o

Calvin

Wow, that is interesting. The only thing I can think of to do would be to try a complete restore again (I know that is going to take a while). If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what is wrong and you may need to contact Apple.

Apple Geek

73 apps?! I'm not surprised its crashing. I've found it's best to keep the number of apps you have installed below 20.

73 apps?! I'm not surprised its crashing. I've found it's best to keep the number of apps you have installed below 20.

Yeah, I thought about that while it was syncing. I found when I first started buying apps that it was best to only install a couple at a time.

Do you suggest syncing again with only a few apps?

My touch has those 73 apps on it and only crashes every now and then, but I thought the crashing was due to a bug in the software that was supposed to be addressed in this latest update. Granted I didn't install all those apps at once and a lot of them aren't that great, I was just trying them out and I could get rid of them.

What about my music, movies and podcasts not showing up?

Calvin

I think both Graham and AppleGeek are on the right track.

I'd try a Restore and Sync. Also, for that first sync I'd tell it to only sync specific apps and pick the ones you know you like first. I'm currently at 40, though only 24 of those are non-Apple. I have had very few crashes and less since I started only updating them within iTunes.

I think it's likely some of those applications may have conflicts among them.

I think both Graham and AppleGeek are on the right track.

I'd try a Restore and Sync. Also, for that first sync I'd tell it to only sync specific apps and pick the ones you know you like first. I'm currently at 40, though only 24 of those are non-Apple. I have had very few crashes and less since I started only updating them within iTunes.

I think it's likely some of those applications may have conflicts among them.

I'm taking your advice, I just did a restore and am doing the sync while I'm writing this post. I picked about 10 of my favorite apps for this sync, got rid of my audiobooks and cut down on some of the music.

Do you think this is what made my music and podcasts "disappear" (putting too much on at one time)?

Calvin

Actually, it doesn't make sense to me that the volume of stuff should affect the iPhone that way. My guess is something in there was corrupted and that just maybe, something in the applications was the root cause. This is only a guess, but the best way to troubleshoot that kind of problem is the Restore.

I'm very surprised the music, etc didn't show up. That's a symptom I really haven't encountered in syncing and I started using using iPods the day they were released.

I'm very surprised the music, etc didn't show up. That's a symptom I really haven't encountered in syncing and I started using using iPods the day they were released.

Yes, I am surprised that you are experiencing this too. I've never had a problem about songs not being on the device. But I hope this restore helps and you find a solution soon!

Apple Geek

I did another sync, getting rid of all but 12 apps. No go, still nothing shows up when I hit the iPod button, even though the computer and the iPhone show space taken up by what I synced.

I just got rid of ALL my apps and still, same thing.

I'm going to do another restore after getting rid of everything I put on it and start from scratch.

Calvin

Here is an update.

I got rid of everything except my contacts but 2 apps won't go away. I told iTunes not to sync ANY apps but these 2 still show up on the iPhone.

Here is a nice twist, the 2 that won't go away will now open!

Originally all 73 apps showed up on the iPhone and would open but after the opening screen, showing which app you had opened, all of them would just close.

The iPhone didn't crash in the way it does when it goes blank and the Apple logo shows up until it resets, it would just go back to one of the home screens. I've done numerous resets by holding the "home" and "top" buttons together until the Apple logo shows up and that hasn't seemed to help. That kind of reset has always helped solve any problems with my Touch.

I've had iPods and have used iTunes for years and have never had any problems before. This is just plain weird!

I'm going to do another restore and see what happens. I might even get rid of my contacts and start from the very beginning, just as it was when I bought it.

All these problems are happening with the same stuff I STILL have on my Touch which is working fine (including all 73 apps I installed).

Calvin

When you go into the settings on your iPhone and check how much space you have left, what does it say? Also, when you go into your iPod, when you rotate the screen does anything come up (should go to CoverView).

About the two apps that won't go away: Try completely deleting them from iTunes (you will be able to re-download them for free even if you paid for them) and then syncing your iPhone. Or you may just try deleting them on your iPhone itself (by tapping the "X" when the icons are wiggling).

Also, when you try your restore: you may want to sync things in a sequence - first sync only music (see if anything comes up), then add videos, then podcasts, and then contacts, mail, photos, etc...(or whatever order you want). This may help you pinpoint the problem if it happens to be some kind of corrupt file that is screwing things up or something.

I don't know if these will solve any (of the apparent many) problems but they were just some things that came to my mind after reading your posts.

Good luck!

Apple Geek

Woo hoo!!! I got it working thanks to the help I got from you guys. Thanks a million.

I wiped out everything I had put on it and did another restore. I started slowly and added all the music I had downloaded from iTunes with my Touch, hit the iPod button and there it was!

I then added 7 of my favorite apps and they all installed except for "Recorder" which said there was an error and it couldn't install. After that sync I first checked my music again and it was still there and working fine. Next I checked one app at a time and they all opened and appear to be working.

As a final test for the day I loaded 2 more apps because I wanted to try at least one large complicated app (Cro-Mag Rally). It installed with the other one and then I saw it was trying to sync "Recorder " again. I was ready with a pen to write down the error code but it loaded!

I tried the last 3 apps and they all work. Now I have 10 apps (that I installed), some tunes, my contacts and calendar. EVERYTHING is working. I'm not pushing my luck anymore today. Tomorrow I'll try some more stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I'll keep you posted on my progress (it's such riveting drama) and hopefully it will help someone else if they have similar problems.

Calvin

Edited by kreskin13

That is wonderful news! I'm glad you finally got some satisfying results and I'm so glad we were able to help.

Apple Geek

I then added 7 of my favorite apps and they all installed except for "Recorder" which said there was an error and it couldn't install. After that sync I first checked my music again and it was still there and working fine. Next I checked one app at a time and they all opened and appear to be working.

I'm guessing the error dialog you saw said:

"The application "Converter" was not installed on the iPhone [name] because an unknown error occured (0xE8000013)."

And like you, the following sync worked fine for that.

The issue with apps crashing is obviously nothing new. Most people are having similar issues with the current firmware. The issue with music not showing up sounds like something unrelated to the crashing apps though. Maybe a setting which was overlooked first time around maybe. Or if the music is crippled with DRM then that might have been the issue - I always buy CDs or buy from DRM-free sites. Never use iTunes.

Glad you got it working. My advice when installing/updating apps is to ensure there's absolutely no interuptions. Don't touch a thing. Don't multitask. Leave it to finish installing/updating before touching it. It's a very delicate thing at the moment. Also install/update using iTunes and not the App Store to ensure there's no network issues while downloading the app. And reboot the iPhone first too to clear out any cobwebs. It's not application specific, and I don't think it's to do with the number of apps you have installed as such - but obviously there's a chance that the installation of a given app could upset the firmware, so if you have lots of apps installed you multiply that risk. It sounds like everytime an app is installed or updated there's a risk one of the data/list files managed by the firmware gets corrupted. That's the gist I've got from reading other people's issues in the apple forums. If all apps are crashing on launch, I saw a trick to give the firmware a nudge. I can't remember what that was off hand, but it may have involved picking any app and uninstalling it (then reinstall it after). Then by magic all the other apps suddenly work fine too. Certainly not buggy apps, it's just crummy unstable firmware at the moment.

I'm guessing the error dialog you saw said:

"The application "Converter" was not installed on the iPhone [name] because an unknown error occured (0xE8000013)."

And like you, the following sync worked fine for that.

The issue with apps crashing is obviously nothing new. Most people are having similar issues with the current firmware. The issue with music not showing up sounds like something unrelated to the crashing apps though. Maybe a setting which was overlooked first time around maybe. Or if the music is crippled with DRM then that might have been the issue - I always buy CDs or buy from DRM-free sites. Never use iTunes.

Glad you got it working. My advice when installing/updating apps is to ensure there's absolutely no interuptions. Don't touch a thing. Don't multitask. Leave it to finish installing/updating before touching it. It's a very delicate thing at the moment. Also install/update using iTunes and not the App Store to ensure there's no network issues while downloading the app. And reboot the iPhone first too to clear out any cobwebs. It's not application specific, and I don't think it's to do with the number of apps you have installed as such - but obviously there's a chance that the installation of a given app could upset the firmware, so if you have lots of apps installed you multiply that risk. It sounds like everytime an app is installed or updated there's a risk one of the data/list files managed by the firmware gets corrupted. That's the gist I've got from reading other people's issues in the apple forums. If all apps are crashing on launch, I saw a trick to give the firmware a nudge. I can't remember what that was off hand, but it may have involved picking any app and uninstalling it (then reinstall it after). Then by magic all the other apps suddenly work fine too. Certainly not buggy apps, it's just crummy unstable firmware at the moment.

Wow, that's a lot of info! Thanks for the advice. I have to agree about going slow and not trying to do too much at one time. Since I have both an iPhone and a Touch, I'm kind of using the Touch as a test platform. I'm treading lightly with the iPhone since I use it more and don't want to mess it up.

On the Touch I have 70+ apps and take more chances with it, to see what will work and what won't.

Has anybody installed the update yet, I'm waiting to see what some more experienced people think about it before I do it. It has to solve some of the stability issues.

As far as iTunes goes, I try and only buy stuff from itunes Plus. I understand it is DRM free and a higher quality. I have been downloading some music from Amazon and emusic because they are cheaper and have a higher bit rate.

Calvin

Wow, that's a lot of info! Thanks for the advice. I have to agree about going slow and not trying to do too much at one time. Since I have both an iPhone and a Touch, I'm kind of using the Touch as a test platform. I'm treading lightly with the iPhone since I use it more and don't want to mess it up.

On the Touch I have 70+ apps and take more chances with it, to see what will work and what won't.

Has anybody installed the update yet, I'm waiting to see what some more experienced people think about it before I do it. It has to solve some of the stability issues.

As far as iTunes goes, I try and only buy stuff from itunes Plus. I understand it is DRM free and a higher quality. I have been downloading some music from Amazon and emusic because they are cheaper and have a higher bit rate.

Calvin

I updated to 2.0.2 as soon as it came out and no issues yet - that is, the update itself hasnt caused any issues. Time will tell if it has improved stability. The only changes I've seen so far is a change of animation when switching iPod between landscape/portrait and a slight boost in 3g signal - doesnt bounce around quite as madly while in the same location.

I experienced the Apple Logo Of Death once with 2.0.1 but apart from the infrequent crashing of apps since its fine now. Judging by the APple forums 2.0.2 has not improved this issue for alot of people - in fact its done very little. So you still need to be mega careful. The more you can guarantee that the iPhone/iTunes doesnt get interupted by anything while installing/upgrading apps the better. Give it all the time it needs. May also help to put it in flight mode beforehand too. And never skip/interupt a backup, even if it made one shortly earlier because this can invalidate the previous backup - I got caught out by this along with a few others.