Sign in to follow this  
bdogmac

Touch check email more often

I have a 16GB iPod Touch. I have set my "check mail" setting to every 15 minutes (the shortest possible). At my office I can log on to the local wi-fi network by going through a web page and entering a username and password. The problem is that the webpage/logon times out (logs me out) after 12 minutes or so unless I manually check my mail more often than that. The network admin won't change the logout time. Sooo, my questions are:

Can I check mail more often than once every 15 minutes automatically?

Is there a way to stay connected to my local wi-fi besides check mail?

Can I modify the Touch software to allow me to set the "check mail" to every 10 minutes (I'm not afraid of code)?

Thanks.

No, unless you're using exchange, 15 minutes is the shortest time interval you can have without checking manually since it impossible to modify compiled code on any device, not just the iPhone.

Yes it should be possible I'd of thought, assuming you're using POP and your wifi connection is timing out through lack of network activity? You could either get your hands dirty by hacking the iphone, grabbing the plist config file to your mac, edit it and then transfer it back (Google for instructions), The 15 mins is hardwired into the UI but probably isnt enforced when the app reads the setting. A setting of 10 mins for example wouldn't hurt the server. Another thing to consider is IMAP - This may be enough to keep the wifi connection open. See if your provider has this option. If not, you could try either redirecting POP via and IMAP provider (you'd effectively be swapping 15 mins delays for instant if the IMAP has IDLE enabled), or set up a second email account (of type IMAP) just so there's some network activity going on. I believe Yahoo does free push email (IMAP with IDLE).