Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

peterweisz

How do I post a graphic?

How do I post an image? a picture? A graphic file? A jpg? An entry into the contest? I tried dragging the file from my desktop into the window. All I got was the file path. I clicked on the button labeled Img(superscript 1) and got this: [/img]

Now what do I do? Thanks for the help.

--Peter

Dear sql4Umitch:

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still not having any luck.

Following your instruction, I typed this into the text box:

user posted image

And pressed Preview. No image appeared. Only the code.

Does the image have to be on a publicly available server for this to work? If I'm providing a pathname to a file on the desktop of my laptop, does that mean I cannot move the file or turn off my laptop? Must I remain connected to the Internet at all times?

Sorry to be so dumb, but it seems that cut & paste or drag & drop would be much simpler in this situation.

Thanks again,

--Peter

[IMG=http://locationtofile/file.jpg]

Dear sql4Umitch:

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still not having any luck.

Following your instruction, I typed this into the text box:

user posted image

And pressed Preview. No image appeared. Only the code.

Does the image have to be on a publicly available server for this to work? If I'm providing a pathname to a file on the desktop of my laptop, does that mean I cannot move the file or turn off my laptop? Must I remain connected to the Internet at all times?

Sorry to be so dumb, but it seems that cut & paste or drag & drop would be much simpler in this situation.

Thanks again,

--Peter

[IMG=http://locationtofile/file.jpg]

You need to have the image uploaded on the web some place.. I would suggest imageshack.us

Thanks for the response:

"You need to have the image uploaded on the web some place.. I would suggest imageshack.us"

I followed it and placed the graphic file onto my iDisk. I then entered this into the text box:

user posted image

I pressed the PREVIEW button. No luck. No image. Just code.

In the example provided by hovering the mouse over the Img button, there is another term depicted after the URL. (alt + p). What does that mean? Could that be part of my problem?

Can you tell me why it's so difficult to post a picture to this forum? Other forums use a simple drag and drop or a navigation interface.

But I'm not giving up, darn it. Thanks for your ongoing advice. Perhaps you could provide me with the exact, character-for-character code that needs to go into the text box for the image to display?

Thanks again,

--Peter

Maccast%20News%20Logo.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/pweisz/Public/Maccast%20News%20Logo.jpg

In your previous try, you had spaces in your image name, which won't work on the web. It will make it easier if you name your images a one word name.

Can you tell me why it's so difficult to post a picture to this forum? Other forums use a simple drag and drop or a navigation interface.

Do other forums really have this? I doubt that too many people would allow their webspace to be used for other people's forum photos. It's just too much space and bandwidth... Every single forum I've seen does it this way.

I am a member of two other forums that both allow uploads to their server. vBulletin BB system uses something called "Manage Attachments" and this will allow users to post pictures. I think the limit is ten pics of max 60k each per post. It makes posting pics and diagrams a lot easier, but I suppose it depends on the storage space provided by the host, and also the BB system that the host provides. I am not sure if phpBB allows this functionality though.

Dear sql4umitch:

Thanks a bunch. It worked fine. I'll keep the spaces out of my filenames from now on.

--Peter

===========================================

Maccast%20News%20Logo.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/pweisz/Public/Maccast%20News%20Logo.jpg

In your previous try, you had spaces in your image name, which won't work on the web. It will make it easier if you name your images a one word name.