major sixth

Please explain sharing apps between unique login IDs

I "switched" (from Windoze) back in December 2007. Since that time, I've ramped up

my knowledge of mac quickly (no surprise, I've been a unix sysadmin for 15 years).

Recently, when I was going to teach a class from my mac, by projecting the

screen, I thought I would create a new user account. I wanted a "fresh" clean

desktop and more importantly did not want to have to cleanup my normal

desktop, etc.

Creating the new account was easy enough, but once I logged in, none of the

installed applications are there. The Apps folder had just the basics.

Now I know the apps are on the disk, but why doesn't a new user have

access to the installed apps? Is there a quick way to sym-link the apps

from my old account to the new account?

I hate to use this comparison, but on Windoze, once you install the

application, usually any other account also can execute the program.

It seems wasteful to have to install multiple copies of say Adium or

Firefox for each iteration of login user account.

Please help me understand!

Thanks!

I have never had that to me. I just sold my MacBook Pro to my little brother and all I did was create a new account for him and delete my account on the computer. The only thing that I would know of is how the permission are set on the applications folder for the computer. I have the system, admin, or wheel with read and write access. Everyone is set to read only. I run all users account as standard and have one admin account that is strictly for admin privileges. No user files are kept in that account. Adam and Victor C have spoken about the increase in security that this offers users. You should know a thing or two about this being a Unix admin for quite sometime, so correct me if I am wrong with this. Have you tried creating a second admin account to see if the same thing happens? Let us know if any of this works for you. Also when was the last time that you booted off of and external hard drive or the Tiger / Leopard install DVD and repaired your permissions? just a thought.

Brent

I see two possibilities:

• you installed new applications in ~/Applications instead of /Applications
  • you created a simple non-admin account, instead of a regular non-admin account (don't know the English terminology); the simple user account has restricted access to applications

I'm sure there are other explanations to the phenomena you experienced. I've never set up a Guest account (IIRC I've disabled it, for security reasons), and perhaps this type of account has limited access to Applications as well.

It's most likely that you've been installing the apps in the wrong place as previously suggested. Limited users can be restricted to what apps they can run, but they can still see the apps in the window (unless you say they can't use the finder at all, which obviously isn't the case here).

I "switched" (from Windoze) back in December 2007. Since that time, I've ramped up

my knowledge of mac quickly (no surprise, I've been a unix sysadmin for 15 years).

...deletia...

Please help me understand!

Thanks!

Well, I cannot explain why, but I logged in as my other user account and now I can

see the Applications just fine. Thanks to all that helped.