macdave

My Book Hard Drives

I am considering getting a My Book external Hard Drive. Any opinions or info that may be useful?

Thanks

Dave

I am considering getting a My Book external Hard Drive. Any opinions or info that may be useful?

Thanks

Dave

I have two external My Book drives and a Passport drive from WD and I haven't a problem with them at all. I think WD does a great job on producing quality external and internal hard drives.

I'd had good and bad experiences with pretty much everybody (never had a LaCie). I've had Maxtors, Seagates and WDs that have lasted for years. I've also had Maxtors, Seagates and WDs which have bleeped out after a relatively short time. I had the most trouble with WD support but did eventually get a replacement for nothing.

Drives have become a commodity item and I think will work fine from almost everybody but should always be backed up.

(PS - Just remembered I'v had good luck with OWC drives, too)

Thanks for the info. I feel a little better about getting one now. Was a little concerned, never saw them advertised that often in mac publications. Thanks again

Dave

Yeah, i would tell you to make sure you have a backup of that drive regardless of what drive you get. I am running a My Book right now for my Time Machine backup and it works great. Just get it. I love mine and I'm quite critical of things. Good luck!

I'm using a My Book drive for my Time Machine as well. No problems yet (knock on wood).

I have one for backup and extra storage and I am very happy with it.

Thanks

Dave

Dave: I got two, both from the Apple store. Be careful because WD makes a lot of these

My Books. They have the same size drives with multiple types of connections.

USB, eSATA, Firewire400 and Firewire800. Around my area, you can ONLY get the

Firewire800 from the Apple store. BestBuy, Circuit City and other type stores mainly

sell only the USB and eSATA and Firewire400 types.

Since you have a Mac, you probably want to get the Firewire800 type only. No need

to use USB on a 1Terabyte disk!

I use one for Time Machine and the other for my iMovie and iDVD projects. So far they

have worked very well.

MyBook drives are currently very dodgy. Out of the ones we've bought at work recently, 50% have died. I'd avoid them like the plague until they sort out their obvious quality control issues. We stick with G-Tech drives at work (they're pretty expensive, but as with all things in life, you get what you pay for).

Mybook drives have mixed reviews, just like any other drive.

I personally have had more WD drives die on me than anything else, once the replacement came dead. However, WD has a good warranty program.

They are advertised in mac publications because they pay for ads-- they arent the best, but i usually get the one thats the cheapest anyways. If you can, try to get one from a company that does not make hard drives, this way you have 2 warranties.

I personally would have no problem picking one up, as long as its the cheapest. If something else is cheaper, get it because its probably a seagate or a maxtor branded seagate. Seagate has a better track record.

We use Seagate drives in our Drobos. Due to the amount of drives we supply at work, I've got a pretty good idea of which will die and which won't. Anything with a seagate drive in, or a G-Drive (I believe they use seagate anyway) will usually see you right.