Sign in to follow this  

RCA through Cat5 to LCD TV

Hey folks,

Long time, I know. I haven't posted here in almost FOR-EVER.

I'm trying to run video/audio from a G4 tower to a LCD TV. The caveat is that my boss doesn't want the computer and the TV in the same room (and thus no cables showing). Behind the TV is a CAT5 jack so this is what would make the most sense.

Has anyone ever done this? Is there any suggestions anyone can make? My thought was to go this route:

G4 > 35mm>RCA & HD15>RCA > RCA>CAT5(see link below) > CAT5 through wall > CAT5>RCA(see link below) > TV

http://www.elephantstaircase.com/wiki/inde...oCAT5conversion

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. In case you're wondering why I'm attempting to do all of this, its due to the fact that the AppleTV cannot loop videos and we don't want anyone making looped videos in FCP.

Thanks,

- MT

Really don't think there's any way of doing that. What might be better is getting one of those wireless TV thingies, plugging that into the mac and then the TV. Not sure on how they work exactly, but it's either something like that or taping a Mini to the back of the tv.

Really don't think there's any way of doing that. What might be better is getting one of those wireless TV thingies, plugging that into the mac and then the TV. Not sure on how they work exactly, but it's either something like that or taping a Mini to the back of the tv.

Oh it definitely can be done (check the link) but those were on small scales and not in a corporate office. Any suggestions on the wireless?

- MT

The solution described in the linked page will only work for you if the Ethernet wiring of those CAT5 wall jacks isn't being used anywhere in the building.

Usually, a CAT5 plug in an office wall is connected to a corporate LAN via a switch or router, usually maintained by IT. I.e., each of those wall jacks runs a CAT5 cable to a switching room, where they all plug into a big Cisco switch and join together in one big happy corporate LAN. The RCA-to-CAT5 Balun described assumes a direct point-to-point run of a CAT5 cable from point A to point B - that cable can't pass through a router, because that hack just uses the CAT5 wires, it doesn't convert your composit video to TCP/IP or 802.1 or anything else your corporate routers will understand.

It might work if you can have your IT guys locate the two CAT5 cable runs you're using in their switch room and have them remove them from the router and connect them directly together electrically with a simple cable extender or on the patch panel.

I'm also skeptical that the solution described in that wiki won't pick up a lot of noise, especially on the video. There's a reason RCA cabling uses 3 separately shielded wires.

You might look at a product such as the Lorex VS6438 http://homesentinelstore.lorextechnology.c...?modelNo=VS6438 which I think does what you want, wirelessly. About $70 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-VS6438-4-chann...r/dp/B00077GE7Y