Sign in to follow this  
Ron in KY

Airport Disks on Extreme question

I bought an extreme n and I got it all working and I can see the external USB drive in Airport Utility but when I go to Airport Disk Utility no disk shows up and I check the boxes to show in menu and nothing shows up there either. I am wondering how do I set the external USB hard drive up to be easily accessible from the desktop?

Also what is the proper way to unplug this drive again, there is nothing to put in the trash it appears you have to go into Airport Utility and disconnect all users from the drive. Also when setting up the network. at one point it asks for the Extreme name and then the network name, what is the naming convention that should be used, what if you call them the same? does it make something more confusing? I am also calling this stuff the same as my computers user acct short name. Does this cause even more issues?

Any education on how to address these issues would be appreciated. Ron

Firstly, the way you access the disks differs depending on which version of os x you're using. If you're on tiger, they should automount. If you're using leopard, your base station will appear under the Shared section of the Finder sidebar, which you can then click on and see the available disks.

That's the correct method of unplugging a drive. It's long winded since the idea is that once you've got them hooked up and working you'd just leave them where they are.

You can call the basestation and network whatever you want. I usually have them set up in a mesh network, so each basestation has it's own name, but they share a common network name. But, if you don't find it confusing, leave it be. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Graham,

Okay thanks for the response, now Im gonna take this question to the next level. If I have an airport extreme plugged into the router which is always connected to the internet, with an airport disk drive plugged in. Is there any option to access this drive remotely from the internet through the router only? Like if you were in another town and needed a file. Maybe by addressing an ip address or such? if not what is the most common option that people use to have access to files while on the road per say?

It is possible. Once again depends on your set up. Tell me your exact setup and I'll be able to help. The most common way of doing this though is by using a VPN.

You could always get a "LaCie Ethernet Disk mini - Home Edition" drive - available in 500 GB + 1 TB sizes - here in Blighty at least. Mind you they're not quiet.