Wishno87

PB Ti Wireless Upgrade

I have a PowerBook G4 Titanium 1Ghz and i want to upgrade the wireless on it from B to G. Is there an internal way to do that (replace the original airport card) or do i have to use a wireless card in my pcmcia slot? I wouldent mind using a wireless card in my pc slot but ive heard that i would have to remove my original card in order to use it. Is there a way that i can just plug the wireless G card in when i need it and take it out and use the internal card when i dont need the extra range? I dont want a bunch of things sticking out of my mac and ruining its good looks.

Get a USB adapter (although it may not work with usb 1.1) or just use the pcmcia card. the PC card can pop out and be placed in a case when you want to use airport. You can easily turn off airport when you put the pc card in.

So i dont have to remove it just turn it off? How will my mac recognize it? is it relatively seamless?

In the network pane of system prefs, you can delete the network interface, which will disable it.

Why not get a new G Airport card rather than have something sticking out of the slot?

Why not get a new G Airport card rather than have something sticking out of the slot?

This came with the original Airport B card and i dont think i can just put an Airport extreme card in it for wireless G capability. If thats possible that would be great though.

Unfortunately you can't. The only airport cards made for the Ti PBs were 802.11 b. Apple switched to a different type of card (different connector) for the Al PBs (which were the first ones with 802.11 g in).

I want to get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120284421309

Seem like a legitimate solution?

A PCMCIA card would be a great way to do that, Hawking historically works pretty well with Mac's built in drivers.

No need to remove the original card unless you want to sell it, they are going for more than $50 used.

roog