Gee4orce

Phishing protection

Gee4orce    0

This is a followup to the Phishing story. There is a very simple way you can protect yourself from phishing attacks: alter your dns to use OpenDNS.

Go to www.opendns.org and follow the very simple and clear instructions. You can do this for each individual computer you use, and you can also set your router to use the openDNS service, which will then propogate the information to all computers on your network.

Simply put, when you request a web site address, your computer consults your Domain Name Service to convert the domain name (eg. www.maccast.com) into an ip address (eg. 123.456.789.012) which it then connects to do download the webpage. The DNS service is something that's normally provided by your ISP.

What OpenDNS does is they actively filter out and block any websites that are actually phishing sites. It can be very hard to tell the difference between Urls such as: www.genuinewebsite.com and www.genuiinewebsite.com (the second one could be a phishing site), and I've even seen urls like: www.genuinewebsite.com:x@hackersite.com (that uses the genuine url as a username to a nefarious website - you have to be pretty technical to spot that one !). With OpenDNS, even the hardest to spot phishing site will be filtered out.

You can also set up a free account and configure content filtering, to block adult or objectional websites, if you so choose.

jchiar    0

This is a followup to the Phishing story. There is a very simple way you can protect yourself from phishing attacks: alter your dns to use OpenDNS.

Go to www.opendns.org and follow the very simple and clear instructions. You can do this for each individual computer you use, and you can also set your router to use the openDNS service, which will then propogate the information to all computers on your network.

Simply put, when you request a web site address, your computer consults your Domain Name Service to convert the domain name (eg. www.maccast.com) into an ip address (eg. 123.456.789.012) which it then connects to do download the webpage. The DNS service is something that's normally provided by your ISP.

What OpenDNS does is they actively filter out and block any websites that are actually phishing sites. It can be very hard to tell the difference between Urls such as: www.genuinewebsite.com and www.genuiinewebsite.com (the second one could be a phishing site), and I've even seen urls like: www.genuinewebsite.com:x@hackersite.com (that uses the genuine url as a username to a nefarious website - you have to be pretty technical to spot that one !). With OpenDNS, even the hardest to spot phishing site will be filtered out.

You can also set up a free account and configure content filtering, to block adult or objectional websites, if you so choose.

As a followup, i was going to suggest Virus Barrier X6 at http://www.intego.com/VirusBarrier/

I just got a copy and it has anti-malware protection together with firewall, network protection, anti-phishing, anti-spyware.

I actually got a free copy from the guys at Makeuseof.com

Its a sweet looking program and it runs unobtrusively.

Other than that, on the sandbox side i use Puppylinux http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

I installed it to a USB drive. Then when i use windows PC's i just boot of the thumb drive. Its superfast and has firefox built right in.

Dolphbucs    2

Sorry, but I have to chyme in here. I went to the Virus barrier X6 website and it states "The best antivirus for Mac: protects your Mac from all known Mac viruses and malware" . Could somebody please tell me just what these "known Mac viruses and malware" are ? Unless I've missed some major Mac news ( and so has Adam, Leo Laporte, Victor, Steve Stanger, etc. ), there are still NO known Mac viruses in the wild. And the only known malware out there are things like trojans that come attached to illegal copies of software that require user interaction/approval and quite possibly still can't infect your Mac if you are running as a limited user. In short, this software is protecting you from things that do not exist. In that respect I could sell a txt file to be launched at login that could make the same claims and be equally correct. Granted, it is good karma to have an anti-virus to scan for PC viruses so that you don't pass stuff along to your PC based friends, and it also doesn't hurt to have a Mac based AV just in case something does come out in the future ( like the FREE ClamX AV ) but to me the company would be better off using that as a selling point instead of implying that a danger currently exists that does not. If they are being misleading about those points, then how do we know the software is really doing anything to prevent phishing ( the only other useful function this software offers as OS X already has a more than adequate firewall built in )? And in my mind, ads such as these only fuel the misconception that many PC users have that there really are such things as Mac viruses in the wild. I can't begin to count the number of discussions I have had in other forums with PC users who cite such ads as proof that such things really exist.

I guess if you are lucky enough to receive a free copy then no harm done ... you're just wasting resources at worst ... but if you really want/need phishing protection, IMHO you are much better off using the OP's suggestion of Open DNS and saving yourself $50.

Just my opinion, For what it's worth.

Edited by Dolphbucs