HappyJoe

HFS in NTFS drive and TimeMachine via XP

HappyJoe    0

I need to format in HFS a 78GB space in an existing USB drive which also has two filled NTFS partitions that must not be destroyed.

I am hoping that this will be usable by Time Machine even though the drive will be plugged into a Windows box.

How do I do the format (Disk Utility can't see the partition space)?

Will the Windows-box-as-transit kill my Time Machine hopes?

HappyJoe    0
I need to format in HFS a 78GB space in an existing USB drive which also has two filled NTFS partitions that must not be destroyed.

I am hoping that this will be usable by Time Machine even though the drive will be plugged into a Windows box.

How do I do the format (Disk Utility can't see the partition space)?

Will the Windows-box-as-transit kill my Time Machine hopes?

BUMP.

Is no-one answering because no-one has any experience of this situation? This is hard to believe in these multi-boot days in a world with so many USB drives knocking around!

I'd really like to get TM working but only have this device to back up to.

Graham    1

You're out of luck on both counts I believe. Firstly all disk utility can do with that disk is wipe it and start again. Secondly, time machine needs to be used with an AFP share, not SMB. And you guessed it, AFP stands for Apple File Protocol. There might be some windows software that tricks the mac into thinking its an AFP share, but I doubt it. I've not touched file sharing on Windows for years (other than getting a heathen machine to connect to apple servers) so I've no idea if this software works or not.

Your best bet is to pick up another cheap external and just use that for time machine.

HappyJoe    0
You're out of luck on both counts I believe.

[snip]

Your best bet is to pick up another cheap external and just use that for time machine.

:( Life is like that, I suppose.

Many thanks for your help, Graham.

On the partitioning front you might have some joy with MacDrive - the blurb saying...

"Need to partition or repair a Mac hard drive? No problem. The MacDrive Disk Manager gives you the power to partition, format, analyze and even repair disks."

(There's a free trial fully-functional version which lasts five days.)

Sadly, the best application I've seen on Windows - PartitionMagic - doesn't support Apple formats.

HappyJoe    0
On the partitioning front you might have some joy with MacDrive - the blurb saying...

[snip]

Sadly, the best application I've seen on Windows - PartitionMagic - doesn't support Apple formats.

I looked at Macdrive but it's not what I can use for this. Its main use is to read/write Mac disks from a MS box. I can do that if I want to with the lovely VMWare (Free try of their VMW Fusion beta - no date mentioned that I could see - try it. Having XP, 2000, Suse and Puppy Linux running on my mini is, at least, amusing).

Bloody Pmagic. Paragon PM doesn't either.