derm318

Two big iPhone problems

There are now a whole host of posts on other forums about 2 fairly major problems with the iPhone, both of which I have experienced and can't yet fix. The first is the extremely annoying problem of all of the apps freezing for no apparent reason. The only fix is to remove and reinstall one of the apps. This works for only a few days, when it happens again.

The second problem has just now appeared on message boards. For no obvious reason, the iPod function in the shuffle mode stops working. At first, there are cut-offs of songs, then it either reverts to a non-shuffle mode, or more commonly, shuts down the iPod altogether.

If anyone has any idea how to fix these problems, any help would be appreciated.

At this stage, the iPhone feels more like a beta product, not as good as its separate parts (iPod, phone, etc)

Norm

The iPhone itself is NOT a beta product. Many, maybe most, of the applications and the use of them on the iPhone platform really are pretty much public beta.

My original iPhone works well.

My partners 3G iPhone works well (right now). It only has one application on it.

I suspect that some applications have conflicting processes which may or may not properly clear memory. From what I have heard, Apple still won't let developers share much information with each other so I expect it will be quite some time before things Apple settle down.

Sorry, I don't have any specific ideas about the problems you cite.

There are now a whole host of posts on other forums about 2 fairly major problems with the iPhone, both of which I have experienced and can't yet fix. The first is the extremely annoying problem of all of the apps freezing for no apparent reason. The only fix is to remove and reinstall one of the apps. This works for only a few days, when it happens again.

The second problem has just now appeared on message boards. For no obvious reason, the iPod function in the shuffle mode stops working. At first, there are cut-offs of songs, then it either reverts to a non-shuffle mode, or more commonly, shuts down the iPod altogether.

If anyone has any idea how to fix these problems, any help would be appreciated.

At this stage, the iPhone feels more like a beta product, not as good as its separate parts (iPod, phone, etc)

Norm

The first issue is a well known one. A vast number of people are complaining about that in the Apple forums. You'll have to wait for the next firmware release for that.

Can't comment on the second issue. I don't use shuffle mode much.

I know what you mean about it feeling like a beta product at the moment. The v2 firmware hasnt reached the maturity of the v1 firmware yet. Only a matter of time though before they iron out the kinks.

If you include stock apps I'm running 48 on my iPhone -- have been in that neighborhood (mostly sifting through at first until I found the ones I used most) since I got it the day she was released. My handset was pretty flaky with that app burden until I Jailbroke her and used the Boss to move apps, fonts and what not onto the larger side of the memory allocation. After doing so she runs fast and furious -- just like new out of the box.

Edited by mobilexile