Sign in to follow this  
ramtha

Open source video editing; REQ assistance!

I am attempting to put together a how-to blog on the pitfalls and rewards of using freeware, open source and a bit of ingenuity to produce a retail quality DVD.

The long and the short of it is that I was asked by a friend of mine to help him shoot, edit and master a DVD of his band performing at a local venue so he can use it as a promotional tool.

The thing is I need help finding good reliable tools to do it with.

I have allowed myself two luxuries. One is iLife 05, since it's kind-a-free what with it bundling with my Mac Mini and the second is Photoshop. Other than that everything has to be (for budget and the fun of it reasons) either OpenSource or freeware.

The titles I've found thus far

Avid Free DV won't work under Tiger.

Jahshaka isn't as ready for the Mac as it is for other platforms, and probably isn't a very good none linear video editor anyway.

HyperEngine 1.5 is exactly what I am looking for in terms of a post production non linear editing tool. Unfortunately the Export / Import Video modules are either crippled or simply not working correctly under Tiger - I have yet to establish which is the reason since their product support is missing in action and their documentation was written by a Dachshund called Tim.

So.. I really need Help!

I need to know of any, in fact ALL open source and / or free video editors that there are 'out there' for the Mac, which are either already binary compiled for Mac, or can be compiled (by fink) for Mac OS X Tiger.

You can read more about my little project on my blog - wakeupinternet.blogspot.com

Thanks in advance for any help. I LOVE the MacCast!

Jim.

umm.... use imovie HD and idvd all came with ilife 05....

With respect, iMovie is not the greatest editor in the world. It's ok for taking out unwanted bits in a home video of the kids at Christmas as so on, but I'm looking to produce something that will have three or four video streams running in parallel, and therefore in sync, so I can cut between any shot as and when it's needed.

I should have explained iLife is not up to it really, but hey - the lore of chat forums is if you leave something out as too obvious you can guarantee it'll be the first reply you get which suggests that very thing :)

LOL

Thanks anyway though.

Anyone else? Or is this destined to go the same way as threads such as "Why is Quicktime so poor at actually playing video"?

Ship sinking, please advise.

I will see what I can come up with if I can get a chance to do so looking, but can I ask a question? If you are doing a "professional" (therefore I assume for profit production) is there any reason why you would not want to invest in professional tools? FinalCut Studio (FinalCut Pro 5, Soundtrack Pro, Motion 2 and DVD Studio Pro 4) is $1299 USD. That is very little to spend on those level of tools. I understand budgets, but if you are serious about a business and doing professional quality work you need to have the right tools.

I don't want to question your motives or down play the value of great open source and free tools. This is just my opinion.

You know I have to agree. As much as I have it out with Adobe and the former Macromedia, I use their tools because I'm expected to and frankly, because they work the best for what I need.

- MT

FCX is good if you want to do simple things, but it's missing a lot of the key features that make FCP amazing such as unlimited markers.

- MT

Final Cut Express can do much more than 90% of people need. As far as your plan to capture 3-4 hours of video from multiple angles and be a virtual director with your video running on seperate tracks, be sure, sure, sure to sync your time codes and never turn off any of the cameras, change tapes at the same time and all that jazz. I'm sure you already know this but I committed to an editing project not knowing that one of my angles was full of cuts. Just couldn't fathom anyone having to deal with the same thing :)