Ron in KY

One iPod between 1 mac and 1 windows itunes account?

Hi Guys, Im asking this question for a friend I just switched over to an Apple. He posed a question to me I could not answer. he has two homes one in Chicago and one in Arkansas, the Mac is in Arkansas. And it appears he probably has itunes set up on a windows machine cause he had material on an ipod he owns (nano). We pulled his mac ID and all and I set up itunes on the mac, when I plugged in his ipod of course it said it needed to asociate itself with a new machine and it had to be formatted for macintosh. he was okay losing the data on there cause its on his other computer. so I got him set up.

Now he posed the question to me, when he gets back to Illinois and onces to load stuff on for a trip back to Arkansas, is he gonna have to completely dump the ipod down to a new account to associate with the windows machine? and vice versa, I mean it seems like itunes will take care of the whole process. but is there a way that it can just work with both machines? all the media is media he brought in (old time radio is all he is into) so there is no itunes purchases etc. and I know there is a way to authorize another machine to handle that.

The media library on his IL machine and AR machine would be different, but I was hoping it would just allow him to drag new stuff on without having to take the ipod down to a zero level and reformat and maybe it would keep his contacts and photos which I think can only easily be added or synced from the apple machine.

Any input would assist.

Well, I've always been under the impression a Windows formatted iPod could be used on either system. That thought appears to be in question because you said he had to reformat to use it with the Mac.

Before your preface, I would have said he could use the Nano with both machines by enabling it in Manually Manage Music mode.

I'm relatively sure he'll need to reformat for his Windows machine because Windows doesn't read Mac format, but Mac generally does recognize Windows formatted material (it can't run .exe files but it can see them).

Okay I had to look on apple website to understand that option to manage musically manually. And it confused me, in that mode does it allow you to drag mp3 into the drive that mounted and it will find them and play them? cause ome part said it wont find them so im wondering how manageing music is diffrent then choosing or dragging the song from itunes to the ipod device is different. I know what you mean about windows formatted should work on mac, but it said in the itunes when it loaded the ipod in where it says software version it says windows formatted and then it sad something to the effect that macintosh must be formatted to play on macintosh or something, but maybe I need to have them read it back to me maybe it was just saying that macintosh formatted can only be worked on macintosh and had nothing to do with what we were doing. Its hard when your teaching a switcher, but it does help wen were using desktop sharing in ichat. :-)

Ron

An iPod formatted to Windows can work on a Mac, but in order to update the firmware on the Mac it must be formatted for Mac. If your friend had two Macs ( or two PC's for that matter ), I would say to put the music library on an external drive, but given the situation, I agree that Manual is the only option.