Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Barker

Garageband Midi Imput Controller Keyboard

Well to put the problem as simply as possible, I have recently aquired a Radium 61 Midi Controller keyboard from my school because I'm going GCSE Music. Now I have installed the drivers and it will work in garageband but none of the sliders or knobs on the keyboard itself make any different to how it sounds. I believe this is because I set it on garageband to grand piano so thats how it sounds, though I can't figure out how to make it so the keyboard decides how it sounds?

Well to put the problem as simply as possible, I have recently aquired a Radium 61 Midi Controller keyboard from my school because I'm going GCSE Music. Now I have installed the drivers and it will work in garageband but none of the sliders or knobs on the keyboard itself make any different to how it sounds. I believe this is because I set it on garageband to grand piano so thats how it sounds, though I can't figure out how to make it so the keyboard decides how it sounds?

Now I might be wrong, but if its like my M-Audio keystation 49 there are no sounds, the keyboard only works through your mac with the loops you have installed.

I can't specifically address your problem, Oliver, but I can relate.

I have an M-Audio Ozone that I used to use with Garageband all the time. I pulled it out and connected it yesterday after updating the driver from M-Audio. The system preference panel sees the keyboard, but Garageband does not - adding a new software instrument or anything I try to tweak in Garageband or in the Apple Midi set-up and I get no response from the keyboard . . . that is, pressing a key on the keyboard doesn't play out of Garageband.

In the past, I've called M-Audio tech support and they have been pretty helpful. You might try that with your keyboard.

Hey Oliver,

So I figured out my problem . . . I had my keyboard plugged into a USB hub. M-audio's web site says that some USB hubs just simply don't play nice with their keyboards. So I plugged directly in to my Mac Mini and Ta-Da! I can haz Joy!

So - yes, now that I've had some time to play, I think the grand piano sound and a few others don't allow for some features of the keyboard. For example, when I set the software instrument to clavicord, I can use the pitch bend and modulation wheels on my keyboard. BUT when I set it to grand piano, they don't work.

So it seems to depend on the software instrument - and not on your keyboard (that is, your keyboard is probably functioning perfectly well).