Sign in to follow this  
Ignoracious

Hesitant to buy Spore

Ignoracious    1

I was so ready to buy Spore, but after reading the many negative reviews on Amazon and BoingBoing, I'm not so sure anymore. The reason is DRM. If you buy a song with DRM, you can play it back as long as the vendor of the playback device supports the DRM. We've seen many examples where vendors stopped supporting their DRM, and, so doing, frustrated buyers, who thought their purchase was final. However, in fact, the purchase wasn't a purchase at all, but, in fact, a rental. It has lead to a whole cottage industry of honest buyers trying to circumvent copy protection, effectively making them into criminals (DMCA states that attempts to circumvent copy protection is illegal).

It seems you can't uninstall the Spore software, and can install it only three times. After this, you supposedly have to convince E.A. to let you reinstall the software one more time. The reasoning is probably that this would prevent piracy, and secondhand use of the software. However, it seems to me, that DRM typically hurts honest consumers, because AFAIK Spore already has been cracked (DRM removed).

So, while I'm enthusiastic about the game, I don't want to support the DRM strategy by the game industry.

My Question: Can any of you share their thoughts in this thread about DRM in games in general, and in Spore specifically?

groomsy57    0

I believe DRM is quite painful to the honest consumer really. I really don't like to be treated as though I'm guilty of a crime every time I buy a PC game or a Mac game, music, television shows, or movies. The really crappy thing about DRM is that if they stopped using DRM tomorrow, their sales wouldn't increase or decrease, they'd probably remain at about the same levels. Most people download things illegally because they either a) don't have the money, or B) don't feel like the product is worth the price. If you offer a quality product, people will buy it (in my opinion anyways). As it stands right now, I try to avoid DRM music whenever possible; I'll first check iTunes for iTunes Plus tracks, then I'll check Amazon mp3 Store, then I'll scour local used music resellers for a copy of it. If all else fails, either I'll wait for it to come out DRM-free on a music site or I'll break down and buy a brand new copy (only if it's an album that I really want though). I would say I'd like to see them make a better DRM, but I've come to the conclusion that all DRM is bad DRM. Just my two cents.

As for Spore, I have not played it yet (and I don't know if I will or not, I'm not a huge gamer). It seems interesting and I have a friend of mine who loves it, but he says that he can see certain people not liking the game. He likes it because you can create your own creature, but he's into that sort of thing (he's a high school art teacher).

joshr    0

I bought spore [it's on it's way] and didn't read any of the reviews or the know about the DRM. I am annoyed to learn about the DRM but probably won't run into much trouble with it in the forseeable future. In general I hate DRM and do everything I can do to avoid it.

EDIT: I did a little research based on this and WOW! People are up in arms. But I can't seem to find anything about how it works on OSX. The copy protection that everyone hates is in windows only.

EDIT2: I found this tool to check for a rootkit on OSX. http://www.christian-hornung.de/ I can't find any discussion where someone can say they know how the DRM works on OSX. As annoying as the three installs is I can live with that but rootkit type stuff is a real problem for me.

Edited by joshr

Ignoracious    1

@Joshr: On BoingBoing there was an article about those Amazon reviewers clobbering Spore:

Amazon reviewers clobber Spore DRM

The comments are interesting. The Mac version seems to use Cider (comment #20), which is an emulation layer (like WINE). Cider is made by Transgaming Technologies and has an entry on Wikipedia. And yes, Cider includes SecuROM, or will include it very soon, so it's just as bad (or will be shortly) as on Windows, it seems.

Edit: I remember hearing on Buzz Out Loud last Friday (episode 804) that you can uninstall Spore, and that you'll get an install credit in return. So, it seems you can install Spore on three different machines. Not sure if this is actually the case, but if it is, it is not as bad as I portrayed it earlier.

However, the DRM will contain a root kit, by Sony no less, that takes over your system and can do whatever it wants with it. Dr. M is evil.

Edited by Ignoracious

joshr    0
@Joshr: On BoingBoing there was an article about those Amazon reviewers clobbering Spore:

Amazon reviewers clobber Spore DRM

The comments are interesting. The Mac version seems to use Cider (comment #20), which is an emulation layer (like WINE). Cider is made by Transgaming Technologies and has an entry on Wikipedia. And yes, Cider includes SecuROM, or will include it very soon, so it's just as bad (or will be shortly) as on Windows, it seems.

Edit: I remember hearing on Buzz Out Loud last Friday (episode 804) that you can uninstall Spore, and that you'll get an install credit in return. So, it seems you can install Spore on three different machines. Not sure if this is actually the case, but if it is, it is not as bad as I portrayed it earlier.

However, the DRM will contain a root kit, by Sony no less, that takes over your system and can do whatever it wants with it. Dr. M is evil.

As far as I can tell it's 3 installs period with no credit given for an uninstall.

I also found that it uses cider but can find no more information about how it works on the mac.

Ignoracious    1
I also found that it uses cider but can find no more information about how it works on the mac.

Then we'll have to wait and see what security researchers have to say about this.