Apple Geek

iTunes 8

While I'm not sure all the updates exactly warranted a complete version upgrade (7 to 8) - IMO -, there are some cool new features. I am still getting used to the Genius thing - it's a little overwhelming for me right now - but I'm looking forward to exploring that more. Other than that, I kinda like the slight UI update.

One thing that I did find but I didn't see in the update notes was the ability to set specific rules per podcast. While in the Podcast Playlist, just click on Settings... at the bottom of the window and you can set some rules - namely the number of podcasts that are saved - for each of the podcasts individually. I have actually been wanting this feature for a long time, there are some podcasts that I wanted to keep more than 2 episodes on. Before, you had to go in and right click on each podcast and say "Do Not Auto Delete" but this setting makes it so much simpler.

I also noticed there were some changes in the tabs and such in the Preferences Pane for iTunes (i.e. the Podcast settings are not there anymore - they can only be changed while in the Podcast Playlists as explained above).

Anyway, enough from me, what are your favorite things / disappointments from iTunes 8?

Apple Geek

Whoa, it's going to take some getting used to. I don't care for the composers tab. At first I thought, great, as most of my music is classical and I thought I could then easily search Beethoven for example, but it still groups it into 4 Beethoven sections. Glad to see Battlestar Galactica will be returning to TV shows though.

Whoa, it's going to take some getting used to. I don't care for the composers tab. At first I thought, great, as most of my music is classical and I thought I could then easily search Beethoven for example, but it still groups it into 4 Beethoven sections.

I used to have this problem even when browsing by Composer under the old iTunes. My problem was some tracks had the composer as "Beethoven", and some "Ludwig van Beethoven" and some "Beethoven, Ludwig van". I finally just selected them all and used the info dialog to make them all the latter (to me, it makes sense to alphabetize under composer surname name, but I throw in the given name(s) for the Strausses and Bachs of the world. Wouldn't want to mix my JS with PDQ, after all!)

Edited by car1son

The "genius" is just a way for Apple to sell more music. It tells me which albums I don't have. I don't find the genius playlists useful at all.

Have you tried highlighting a song and then clicking on the genius button? It creates a playlist of songs you already own.

I like that now, when you select multiple tracks and Get Info to edit the track information, there are more fields that can be bulk edited now (such as the name or season# of a TV show, or just changing some vids kind from a Movie to a TV Show.) I suppose I can toss those Applescripts I wrote now.

I like that now you can actually tell iTunes what is and isn't an Audiobook.

Specially since I've had a bunch of files I wanted in the Audiobook section and kept putting it off since JoinTogether is flakey at best and now I don't have to reencode them (just use TrackSplicer to combine them into 1 file).

I thnk my favorite feature is the ability to mass edit almost all of the tag fields now. I do like Genius, but it needs to be a lot more tweakable.

i concur about mass changing more fields. i'm one of those people that is really picky about how their music and videos are tagged, and the new editor makes it much easier.

i'm not really sold on the Genius yet. The very first track i tried to make a playlist from said it couldn't do it. Second track (different movement of the same piece) didn't work either. The only classical piece it could identify had genius suggesting things from the store that i already owned. *shrug*

There are two parts to the Genius feature: the sidebar suggests tracks from the store and the playlist creation feature makes playlists out of tracks that exist in your library. If the title doesn't exist on iTunes, it doesn't have the data to suggest a playlist (at least not until it gets smarter).

Oh i know. i just find it funny that the first two tracks i tried it couldn't do anything with.

There are two parts to the Genius feature: the sidebar suggests tracks from the store and the playlist creation feature makes playlists out of tracks that exist in your library. If the title doesn't exist on iTunes, it doesn't have the data to suggest a playlist (at least not until it gets smarter).

I love the Genius feature! I've been wishing for something like this for awhile. For times when I'm just in a certain mood and want songs that fit that mood. Now I can just find a certain song that I know fits the mood I'm in, and then click the Genius Playlist button and suddenly I have hours of music pieced together for me that totally work together. It's simple and easy and I love it. :)

I agree I have rediscoverd music in my library because of the Genius feature and when I am in a mood I just pick a song I like and bam 25/50/75 songs are all lined up. What I didn't like was the suggestion sidebar but i just turned it off.

Genius feature is only for people with Thousand(s) of songs.

My favorite feature is the new security they added. Once I did the latest patch it changed all my permissions to the library and files to read only.