Sign in to follow this  
Mr Nice

Help with some mac basics please

Ok a few questions for you.

How do i maintain my iMac?defrag and stuff like that.where do i find these tools?

How do i fully uninstall a program?

Will i notice a performance boost if i stick another 512mb ram in.is it worth it for a home user?

Thanks in advance

u really dont have to defrag or anythat crap i mean well i dont and its workin fine for 2+ yrs with no slow down.... more ram is good.... u dont need an antivirus but if your paranoid sure.....

Ok a few questions for you.

How do i maintain my iMac?defrag and stuff like that.where do i find these tools?

We are mac users; therefore we are refined and civilized. We do not "defrag"

The mere thought makes me shudder. :-P

Actually you can defrag on a Mac, usually it involves booting from a third party utility CD like Drive Genius.

Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Verify Disk Permissions -> Fix Disk Permissions

Do this from time to help thing running smoothly.

To uninstall, pretty much just drag it to the trash. Mac programs are all pretty much all self contained. This was coverd in a Maccast Podcast a little while ago.

OSX defrags itself when dealing with files under a certain size. I don't know the size when this behavior stops, but basically whenever you open or access a file, OSX defrags it as it opens. This involves all types of files: apps, docs, etc.

Most other basic maintenance can be done with Apple's Disk Utility. If you find yourself wanting to do more, you can look at programs like Tech Tool Pro or DiskWarrior.

How do i fully uninstall a program?

Pretty much dragging it to the trash does it. You might want to look for a plist file under Library-->preferences, but these are only small xml preference listings, not really worth taking the time to find and delete.

Will i notice a performance boost if i stick another 512mb ram in.is it worth it for a home user?

It depends on how much RAM you currently have; however, you will almost certainly see a performance boost. OSX dynamically allocates RAM, which means it uses RAM very effectively. If you already have 2GB of RAM and you're not doing more than basic stuff, you might not see a difference. However, if you have the stock 512mb of RAM and are trying to encode DVDs or create movies, you'll notice a massive difference by adding RAM.

-Rob

I found this in some script maintenance automator. All three of these should use sudo.

periodic daily weekly monthly

diskutil repairPermissions /

update_prebinding -root /

But if you keep your mac on all the time, I don't think you need to worry about these.

I found this in some script maintenance automator. All three of these should use sudo.

periodic daily weekly monthly

diskutil repairPermissions /

update_prebinding -root /

But if you keep your mac on all the time, I don't think you need to worry about these.

If you are running Tiger these will be run automatically. That said, if your Mac is suddenly behaving erradically, sometimes running these manually can help.