MartyMcFly

Macbook Hard Drive Failure

My brother-in-law has had a major hard drive failure with his macbook. He was using it, it got really sluggish, froze, and then he heard a clicking noise coming from his hard drive. So he restarted it and when it came back up in gave him the folder with the flashing question mark.

He has Applecare is not concerned about getting the drive replaced but it is going to cost him an exorbitant amount of money for data recovery. The lady he spoke to about data recovery warned him not to boot up the Macbook anymore because it can cause it to lose even more data.

First question: Is what the data recovery lady said true?

IF NOT,

Second question: would it be ok (or even possible) for him to try and get the mac to boot with his Mac OS X disc and then transfer his critical documents and files to an external hard drive? And how would that be accomplished?

Thanks everyone.

What the data recovery people said is spot on. Clicking drive = total death most of the time. It will require open drive surgery.

What the data recovery people said is spot on. Clicking drive = total death most of the time. It will require open drive surgery.

We were afraid of that. He has Applecare but of course that won't help him when it comes to data recovery.

He lost a lot of music and some important text documents but the thing that hurt the most is he also lost lots of pictures and some videos of his kids (one of whom was born just earlier this year). So as a parent that's breaking his heart. I suppose that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Is there any hope of getting it to run Mac OS X in some sort of "safe mode"? I mean, I know that it's probably totally dead, as you have said, but is there even a CHANCE that we could get it to run long enough to get some of those critical files onto an external hard drive? If there is a chance, what's the best way to try?

I sure feel bad for the ol' fella.

I think the only real chance is with something like SpinRite, which requires removing the drive from the MacBook and hooking it up to a Windows machine. Though, as Graham noted, the clicking noise is a VERY bad sign. It usually signals a physical problem.

Or, I don't know if it's possible, but you might be able to get it up in Target Disk Mode and access from another Mac.

Thanks, guys - as the "'ol fella" in question, I am needing some help in coming up with data recovery options (ouch!). The Applecare person recommended me to drivesavers.com, but I understood that there are other companies that will not void my Applecare. Confirmation? Any recommendations?

Edited by Dr. Elwin Ransom

I'd go with the ones apple recommend just to be sure your applecare is left intact. Sorry I can't recommend any recovery companies, I've always backed everything up that's important in multiple places.