alanderego

Increase Partition Size

Hey Everybody.

I recently upgraded from a 250GB drive to a 500GB drive. Using SuperDuper! I imaged the old drive to the new. Adam helped me with the first part (Thanks Adam!).

Everything went fine, but the new drive is partitioned only to the size of the original drive size (250GB).

When I use Disk Utility to increase the size of the partition (which Disk Utility shows as 500GB) I get an error message saying:

Partition failed with the error:

MediaKit reports partition (map) too small

What I would like to know is if DiskWarrior could increase the size of the partition to the full size of 500GB.

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Hey Everybody.

I recently upgraded from a 250GB drive to a 500GB drive. Using SuperDuper! I imaged the old drive to the new. Adam helped me with the first part (Thanks Adam!).

Everything went fine, but the new drive is partitioned only to the size of the original drive size (250GB).

When I use Disk Utility to increase the size of the partition (which Disk Utility shows as 500GB) I get an error message saying:

Partition failed with the error:

MediaKit reports partition (map) too small

What I would like to know is if DiskWarrior could increase the size of the partition to the full size of 500GB.

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Well in Leopard the Disk Utility Help Topic "Enlarging a volume" might help you.

If not, just an idea, you still have the image of the old drive right? So maybe in Disk Utility select a drive and then Restore, drag into the destination your new 500 GB, and in the source you image.

Not sure if tht works, as the image is smaller than your new drive.

Another idea, do you have a time machine backup of your 250 GB drive?

Just go into time machine and resotre your 250 GB Drive to the 500 GB drive

Hope something helps you :-)

Well in Leopard the Disk Utility Help Topic "Enlarging a volume" might help you.

If not, just an idea, you still have the image of the old drive right? So maybe in Disk Utility select a drive and then Restore, drag into the destination your new 500 GB, and in the source you image.

Not sure if tht works, as the image is smaller than your new drive.

Another idea, do you have a time machine backup of your 250 GB drive?

Just go into time machine and resotre your 250 GB Drive to the 500 GB drive

Hope something helps you :-)

Thanks for the ideas.

The Help topic didn't help (that's what I have been doing)

The image idea I am going to try that next (I am tired of pulling the drive out and will when I get the energy)

The Time Machine restore I tried that first. That just hosed all my settings and what not (I really didn't like that).

I was really trying to find a way without removing the drive again (now I am just lazy!!)

Thanks again,

Alan

Thanks for the ideas.

The Help topic didn't help (that's what I have been doing)

The image idea I am going to try that next (I am tired of pulling the drive out and will when I get the energy)

The Time Machine restore I tried that first. That just hosed all my settings and what not (I really didn't like that).

I was really trying to find a way without removing the drive again (now I am just lazy!!)

Thanks again,

Alan

It hosed all your settings?

What do you have on that drive?

An OS?

For me it works,, of course its important that your new harddrive has the same name as your old one, but then for me I am just storing my iTunes, iPhoto Libraries, as well as my dvd rips.

It hosed all your settings?

What do you have on that drive?

An OS?

For me it works,, of course its important that your new harddrive has the same name as your old one, but then for me I am just storing my iTunes, iPhoto Libraries, as well as my dvd rips.

The drive I am trying to expand the partition has the OS on it.

My iTunes stuff is stored safely on my ReadyNAS.

The only non-essential stuff on the drive are my EyeTV videos.

The drive I am trying to expand the partition has the OS on it.

My iTunes stuff is stored safely on my ReadyNAS.

The only non-essential stuff on the drive are my EyeTV videos.

Hm well I don't know why th time machine backup, does mess up your preferences seems strange.

but if its just the preferencs maybe you can manually reset those?

Anyway the only other idea I have left, is to install a new OS on the 500 GB drive and then import the old users from the time machine backup.

Regards

Thorsten