Apple Geek

iPod touch 1G to iPod touch 2G

Ok, so I am going to sell my 1G iPod touch to a friend of mine so I can have some money to buy the new 2G one. I just have a few questions:

1. I know that with my backups of my iPod touch to my computer I can just plug my new touch in and everything will be re-installed on it. But I don't have to buy the 2.1 upgrade AGAIN do I?

2. If I leave all my songs on my old iPod, what will happen when he syncs it up to his computer? - He is on Windows XP (not sure the SP) and I know he will have to reformat it but - will erase all the songs, or is there a way he can transfer them to his computer?, Will he still be able to retain the 2.1 software or will he have to buy it on HIS account for it to sync to the iPod?)

3. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for your help.

Apple Geek

Ok, so I am going to sell my 1G iPod touch to a friend of mine so I can have some money to buy the new 2G one. I just have a few questions:

1. I know that with my backups of my iPod touch to my computer I can just plug my new touch in and everything will be re-installed on it. But I don't have to buy the 2.1 upgrade AGAIN do I?

2. If I leave all my songs on my old iPod, what will happen when he syncs it up to his computer? - He is on Windows XP (not sure the SP) and I know he will have to reformat it but - will erase all the songs, or is there a way he can transfer them to his computer?, Will he still be able to retain the 2.1 software or will he have to buy it on HIS account for it to sync to the iPod?)

3. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for your help.

Apple Geek

I assume you're using a mac to sync your ipod so when he goes to plug your old one into his computer it will have him reformat it for windows erasing everything.

You won't have to pay for 2.1 again because that's what will come on your new 2nd gen touch.

You won't have to pay for 2.1 again because that's what will come on your new 2nd gen touch.

Are you sure about that? I thought it only came pre-loaded with 1.1.x. Maybe I'm wrong.

Apple Geek

The minimum version for the 2nd gen touch is 2.1. I don't think it'll run on anything less. That's what it was announced with.

The minimum version for the 2nd gen touch is 2.1. I don't think it'll run on anything less. That's what it was announced with.

Sorry, but I contacted Apple last night and the woman I spoke to did some research and said that it ships with 1.1.4. The 2.0/1 software upgrade can be bought for $9.95 later in the iTunes Store. I know, I think it is a little weird too. But I'm kinda glad that Apple is doing it that way. They kinda screwed people over when they started including the January 1.1.4 update for free on all new touches while everyone else had to pay $20 - and it didn't even do as much as the 2.0 update! I'm still a little ticked off about that.

Apple Geek

So back on topic: Does anyone have any more information for the questions in my original post?

Edited by Apple Geek

Well, the Apple rep you spoke to was misinformed. Just watch Steve Jobs' announcement. He says that it comes with 2.1. And Apple would not show the app store on the iPod touch packaging if it didn't come with it, and that only arrived with 2.0. Believe what you want though. I'm positive it ships with 2.1. Just read some reviews.

Edited by RailRider

Well, the Apple rep you spoke to was misinformed. Just watch Steve Jobs' announcement. He says that it comes with 2.1. And Apple would not show the app store on the iPod touch packaging if it didn't come with it, and that only arrived with 2.0. Believe what you want though. I'm positive it ships with 2.1. Just read some reviews.

Ok, I don't want to get into a big argument. I am actually ordering the new touch tonight so when I get it in a few days I will be able to confirm yes or no.

Apple Geek

I beat you to it: I purchased a 32Gb 2nd gen touch today at Circuit City. It came with 2.1.1 on it. I had heard that there was a specific version for the 2G touch somewhere, but I forgot to mention it. I also forgot to mention that if you already paid for 2.0 or 2.1, then you already have the file on your hard drive and it can be used to update any other iPod touch. I've done it for a few other iPods beside my main one.