jlamb0

Trouble with Google Maps on iPod Touch

I don't remember setting my current location in the maps application on my iPod Touch (1G, 16GB), but somehow it thinks my current location is a previous address of mine, 181 miles away. (I moved two years ago, long before I bought my iPod.)

I can't figure out how to reset this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sure it is a simple fix, but I'm just not seeing it...

Just guessing - but have you changed your address in your address book or anywhere else on your computer that is associated with your name that may have set your location to there?

Apple Geek

Just guessing - but have you changed your address in your address book or anywhere else on your computer that is associated with your name that may have set your location to there?

Apple Geek

Nope, not at all, my current address is up to date in my address book.

Nope, not at all, my current address is up to date in my address book.

That is strange. Sorry then, I got nothing. The only other thing I would try is to go to Settings/Genera/Location Services and switch that off. Then maybe reset the iPod and turn it back on again (or go into the Maps App) it should ask you if you want it to use your location.

Hopefully this will work.

Apple Geek

That is strange. Sorry then, I got nothing. The only other thing I would try is to go to Settings/Genera/Location Services and switch that off. Then maybe reset the iPod and turn it back on again (or go into the Maps App) it should ask you if you want it to use your location.

Hopefully this will work.

Apple Geek

Okay, I tried this, and Maps re-determined my current location and it came up with with the same previous address. This is very strange. Could it be my router or my ISP? They are the only commonalities between the two locations.

That is very strange indeed. But I am betting that it has to do with your router. If it won't cause too much trouble, you should try resetting/restoring the router and see if that helps.

Apple Geek

Change your SSID. The location come from nearby networks, so if they've mapped yours as being in a specific location, that's where it will think it is.

Change your SSID. The location come from nearby networks, so if they've mapped yours as being in a specific location, that's where it will think it is.

Thanks, I'll try that.

The science behind this is largely beyond me. However, I can not believe that it's based on someone driving down my street, noticing that there's an SSID being broadcast (let's call it "FOO") and then somehow records that "FOO" is in such and such a location. This is severely flawed. First of all, I may not broadcast my SSID (many people don't for security reasons). Secondly, SSIDs are not globally unique. I'm in the UK but someone in Australia might broadcast the same SSID. How could a distinction be made?

More importantly, my new iPod Touch hasn't got a clue where I am. It just says that it can't figure it out. Well that's really useful.

Well actually, that's exactly how they do it. They base it on your SSID, and the ones around you. If you have a unique (ish) one and everyone else has left theirs as the default (linksys or whatever) then chances are, you'll have this problem.

Conversely, where I am currently in central london, most places have changed their SSID to reflect their company's name, so iPod touches are incredibly accurate.