Sign in to follow this  
harrysnewbizzare

can't connect hidden ssid

I have relative who has complained they can only connect to wireless network if the ssid is broadcast but they prefer to keep the ssid hidden. now i know that hiding the ssid is very very basic form of security however its not me but my relative and they want to keep it hidden.

so i haven't come across this before where it will only connect if the ssid is hidden... any ideas?

thanks

Airport Menu -> Join Other Networks... And then fill in the details. But there's really no point, a utility like Kismac will find the network in less than 20 seconds.

Airport Menu -> Join Other Networks... And then fill in the details. But there's really no point, a utility like Kismac will find the network in less than 20 seconds.

Thanks for the reply graham, though I guess i didn't explain myself properly... I have added the network in the way you suggest. But it will not connect with SSID hidden however with SSID broadcast it will connect to the network everytime it wakes from sleep as it should.

James

Then I'm all out. We never bother doing that to our wireless networks at clients places, it doesn't provide any extra security and just causes problems. A decent WPA password is all the protection you really need.

A decent WPA password is all the protection you really need.

Yeh i know but like I say its my relative and they are keen on hiding it from the most casual of 'network browsers'...

thanks for your help anyway.

Well tell them than an IT professional has told you that they're wasting their time. It makes no difference if you're broadcasting the SSID or not if you have WPA enabled.