jfjelstrom

What do I do about MobileMe with a stolen iPod Touch?

Today my iPod touch was stolen (by one of my students, non the less!). I'm hoping I can recover it before they have a chance to sell it since I have an idea who the culprit was, but I'm concerned about my data.

I use MobileMe to sync Mail, contacts, calendars, Safari bookmarks, and lots of other stuff on my iPod touch. How to I make sure my email and other data isn't pushed to the touch now that it's in the hands of someone else? Is turning off syncing in th MobileMe preference enough? Also, would syncing a "blank system" erase that data? Perhaps creating a new user on my Mac with blank contacts and bookmarks and the computer overwrites it, keeping my other user account to protect current settings?

This is assuming they have wifi access. I'm hoping they aren't smart enough to figure that out. They were smart enough to take the cord, too, so I'm hoping they just sync with their computer.

I'm kicking myself for leaving it out on my desk and not turning on the security/password screen. I'm also regretting syncing my 1Password data, but that's protected with a code.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Jonathan

Just change the password at me.com.The current data will be on there, but no future data will be synced from the device.

Thanks. And believe it or not, but I actually recovered the stolen property! Thanks to an observing student she asked to see the iPod and when they went to the photos, there was pictures of me and my kids. We still don't know which of my students actually took it, but I'm just thankful I got it back.

And of course the best way to ensure your data stays safe on your iPhone and iPod touch is to put a passcode on the device so it can't be used without wiping the thing.