Johanna

Leaving the charger in whenever I use it?

Someone told me that it's better for the battery on the MacBook to leave the charger inside even if it's at 100%

He says the battery will last longer that way. I don't know what to think.

If someone has a official thing explaining why it's better or not that would be great.

Edited by Johanna

Leaving what plugged in - iPod, iPhone, MacBook, etc?

Truthfully, I think it's bad for battery life but I do it anyway. I think it likely killed the battery on both my original first gen iPod and my 30Gb 2nd gen, though it hasn't seemed to have ruined my iPod photo battery. Since I really don't use any of them 'on the go' anymore (I use my iPhone and/or Nano in those situations), I don't care.

That is actually 100% wrong. Batteries loose capacity if they are not used regularly. Ideally, you should let the charge drop to 50% to 30% before charging it, and let your battery run completely flat at least once a month.

Thanks. But do you have something to prove that with? I don't think he'll believe me if I just say it like that.

I'm sure there's proof on the internet somewhere. That's just my experience as someone who works in IT (and with macs in particular) every day. I do believe there's something in the manual that comes with apple laptops (I've not read one for a while, so I can't be sure).

I can, as another person with an IT education and IT career, back Graham up on that. I've also personally had laptops that I've had charged 24/7, and that killed my battery so that it ended up not charging anymore.

Thanks. I can't wait to see his face when I tell him that.

*Chuckle*

Edited by Johanna