Sign in to follow this  
kman101

Nikon S60

Hey Guys

I saw the ad for the Nikon S60, and I had to do some research. It looks really cool. From the few reviews I've read, it seems like a good camera for me. I've had a Cannon Powershot SD200 for about 4 years now, and I think I'm ready for an upgrade. So I'm wondering if anyone on the forums has this camera or has used it before?

Thanks for any help!

-Kyle

I own several Nikon's and I love them. The S60 is a great little camera for the casual user that will meet most if not all of your point and shoot needs.

My recommendation for a point and shoot is the canon G9 [or I think the G10 is out]. It shoots RAW, has a hotshoe, and has full manual controls. I also like the Sigma DP1 which also has full manual control, shoots RAW, has a hotshoe, and adds a dlsr size sensor to the mix. If you want a point and shoot that looks cool and has a big LCD the s60 looks fine but if you think you might want more then check out the Canon or the Sigma.

My recommendation for a point and shoot is the canon G9 [or I think the G10 is out]. It shoots RAW, has a hotshoe, and has full manual controls. I also like the Sigma DP1 which also has full manual control, shoots RAW, has a hotshoe, and adds a dlsr size sensor to the mix. If you want a point and shoot that looks cool and has a big LCD the s60 looks fine but if you think you might want more then check out the Canon or the Sigma.

I've heard good things about the G9 certainly. However I don't really get the point of these cameras - although they do take good pictures they are too bulky to be ideal point-and-shoot cameras, and if you are going to have a camera that big, why not just got the full hog and get an entry level DSLR instead?

I was blown away by the leap in quality when I went from a then mid-to-high end point and shoot camera to an entry level Nikon DSLR (D70). Now I find all point-and-shoot cameras frustratingly limiting in virtually everyway, camera phones being about the only exception.