My Emac

Please Help Me

Hello,

my cousins iBook G3 14 inch 800mhz will find the network when he is near the router but when he steps out of the room where the router is the connection drops and it used to have full bars in his room but now it does not. And he is also saying that his airport connection works during the day and not at night but his network is still working on his brothers powerbook. The wireless network name shows up in the wireless network list but when he selects it it does not come up with any bars on the airport.

Cheers My Emac

I'm surprised that it used to work as well as it did. The old airport cards are not very powerful and that's the only kind you can use in the G3 iBooks. If you pick up a refurbished airport express in the apple store and plug it in in his room, it should take care of the problem;

and they are pretty inexpensive.

Any new metal added to the house? New insulation, wiring, or even an appliance ? Has the orientation of the router's antenna's been changed?

It's also possible there's new interference from a new appliance, such as another wireless router or wireless phone (either him, or even a neighbor.) Try changing the channel of the router (instructions depend on brand. Check user manual.)

As I recall, the original Apple Airport card (802.11b variety) use an external antenna built into the powerbook/ibook, that plugs into the Airport card during installation. You might have your cousin revisit the card installation instructions to pop open the iBook and check that the antenna plug hasn't popped loose.

Edited by car1son

Thanks so much we are still trying to fix it but thanks for your suggestions and thanks to the maccast community for all your help but if u know more please help we still need help fixing it.

Cheers My Emac

You already have the solution. Get an airport express and extend the network. The airport cards in the g3 iBooks are terrible, so it won't be able to pick up the signal.

You already have the solution. Get an airport express and extend the network. The airport cards in the g3 iBooks are terrible, so it won't be able to pick up the signal.

But it picked up the signal before and he was using it with he card and the wireless for 2 years till now it wont work this week so im seeing if there is any other solution to fixing it before i go pay to get the airport express and thanks for your reply.

Cheers My Emac

Well the other thing it might be is that due to it being a pretty old mac, the wireless card is on it's way out. Either way, you're gonna have to spend some cash.

I set up a home network with an AirPort Extreme base station (previous edition) in the Spring and come the Summer the signal dropped markedly - so much so that I had to install an AirPort Express unit to make everything hang together again. I couldn't see an obvious cause - e.g. interference from other transmitters or changes in the physical environment - and I put it down to a reduction in the power of the main base station due to its age. (It was second-hand.) So, there's a possible cause - old age - and a definite solution as has been mentioned before.