MnchstrCityBlues

iMac G5 CPU (2.1ghz) is working much too hard!

Hey gang, I am here for help once again. Recently my iMac G5's CPU seems to be working much too hard. In the past when I would encode tvshows for my AppleTV the CPU usage would be high but never 100%. Keep in mind that I have a Turbo.264 so the strain on the CPU shouldn't be as high as it could be. Anyway, as mentioned above, my CPU now seems to work much harder than it used to. Witness:

ishot0810031618261bb0.jpg

In the above snap-shot, I am encoding via EyeTV (which uses the Turbo.264) as you can see, EyeTV doesn't seem to be tasking the CPU too hard but "kernal_task" seems to be the main culprit. WHat is kernal_task? Is there anyway I can make it so my iMac is not almost totally useless during encoding? I appreciate any help.

Pertinent info: iMac G5 2.1ghz CPU, 2.5gigs Ram, 350gig harddrive (125gigs free)

I don't have time for a full diagnosis, but kernel task is your core operating system. Kinda necessary!

I don't have time for a full diagnosis, but kernel task is your core operating system. Kinda necessary!

Okay but why is it freaking out during a process it previously never freaked out about?

I've no idea to be honest. A recent software update of some description? Since I don't have a turbo.264 or access to any PPC machines lower than a PowerMac G5, I'm kinda stumped.

Installed anything or changed any hardware recently?

I've no idea to be honest. A recent software update of some description? Since I don't have a turbo.264 or access to any PPC machines lower than a PowerMac G5, I'm kinda stumped.

Installed anything or changed any hardware recently?

not that I am aware of. oh well. Thank you for your help nonetheless!

Cheers

I have had the same problem with my iMac G5 1.8Ghz and if i recall correctly i tried to quit the process and it stopped and nothing crashed. But I am still uncertain if it is a necessary process or not. Does it still do it after you restart?

-Mark

Check out /var/log/system.log (from Terminal, "sudo -s tail -100 /var/log/system.log", or use the OS X Console utility. You're looking to see if there are any repeating errors that might account for the CPU consumption.

The thing that stood out to me as I looked at the image above is that you are running EyeTV and that it is taking up mega resources also. I would try quitting that and see what happens.

The thing that stood out to me as I looked at the image above is that you are running EyeTV and that it is taking up mega resources also. I would try quitting that and see what happens.

unfortunately EyeTV is the one doing the converting lol

(PS: Phins AND Bucs? :blink::) )