Iy42

Anti-Virus

I am a new Mac user and coming from a PC I am used to being attacked by viruses all the time, but I know that Macs are supposed to have less viruses. Can anyone recommend what type of anti-viruses I should use on my MacBook?

There are AV programs out there for Macs, but you really don't need one.

Don't use one. The only antivirus we use on our servers at work is in the mail server app so they don't pass on anything they might receive from dirty windows machines. For the average user, you don't need any. Antivirus just causes more problems than it solves.

Echo that. I don't use an anitvirus on my Mac. No serious threats in the wild at this time.

A few years ago, McAfee gave away their Virex Mac A/V for free to .Mac subscribers (now known as MobileMe subscribers.) It was a CPU and memory hog, a worse than useless pain in the butt (and had a tendency to delete your entire Entourage database, which, ironically, is probably worse than any virus would do to you.)

Remember when you read a news article such as "More Virus Writers Now Targeting Macs" ( http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,278254,00.html ) that the source for these stories are the A/V companies, and they have an agenda to sell A/V programs.

It's not that I believe Macs are imune, just that there's no significant threat at this time. A/V programs only protect against known threats - so running an A/V when there are no known threats is a waste.

Edited by car1son

No need to waste your time or money. Plus could slow your experience down -

I am a new Mac user and coming from a PC I am used to being attacked by viruses all the time, but I know that Macs are supposed to have less viruses. Can anyone recommend what type of anti-viruses I should use on my MacBook?

Dont Get one. Mac Antivirus programs don't really catch much, because all of the mac viruses are low profile.

If you are on a PC however, ESET Nod32 is the best.

Dont Get one. Mac Antivirus programs don't really catch much, because all of the mac viruses are low profile.

If you are on a PC however, ESET Nod32 is the best.

What viruses would these be? There are 0 viruses for Mac OS X. The only thing you could possibly be affected by (and all this does is get your word files flagged by antivirus software when you attach them) is a word macro virus if you are 1) running an older version of MS office than 2008 and 2) stupid.

I look at that article from Apple as a "CYA" move. By making this statement, if a virus ever does surface, nobody can say Apple didn't say it was possible. Also, I find it interesting that Apple names 3 Paid AV's ( there are also several free ones out there ). I see this as Apple trying to support a group of software developers that may be needed sometime in the future.

That being said, I think the possibility of even a web based infection affecting a Mac system unlikely ... the code still has to bypass OS X's security model and would probably require admin privileges. In short, if you run as standard user you will be fine. And as I have thought since becoming a Mac user over two years ago .... I'll start worrying about viruses for the Mac when they truly become a reality.